1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attending high school reunions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

My 50th high school reunion is next year. Someone has already started the organizingfor that event; I have already marked the date; I will be there barring a cataclysmic intervention.

At my 40th reunion, I re-united with two friends I had not seen for a LONG time and both of them are baseball freaks. Ever since then, the three of us have taken a summer "trip" to see major league and minor league games together. This year, our trip will be to New England where two other classmates will join us for a Red Sox game in Fenway. The three "Boys of Summer" will take in games in Pawtucket, Portland and Manchester on this trip in addition to a visit to Cooperstown and Saratoga Race Track. Let the good times roll...

I went to exactly ONE of my college reunions and you could not get me to go to another of them at gunpoint.

Chacun a son gout...

2. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

My 20th is this year. I won't be going since I don't stay in touch with anyone I went to high school with.

I'm not hostile toward any of them, and high school was a mostly pleasant experience, but we're just no longer friends.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Some organizers were quizzing my friends and I about the feasibility of a fifth-year reunion during college, and we turned it down because it seemed pointless. I want to meet ex-jock Chris the doctor, not ex-jock Chris the med student, you know?

Either way, the 10th is coming up, and I hope I'll be able to make it back to my corner of the U.S. for that one. I know how most people are doing because of Facebook, but it would be awesome to see them again, too. Especially en masse, getting it all out of the way in one fell swoop.

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Slappy - Your problem with high school is that you're waaaay too old. Your all-boys school now has an all-girls school next door. If that would have happened years ago, then it might have been a much more pleasant experience - and the scenery would have been much nicer. Wonder how many Pilots sneak over to Saddelite territory during the school day (or vice versa)?

5. doctorx

doctorx Member

Wouldn't cross the street to attend a reunion of my class. I'm back in the same small town from which I graduated high school and it's remarkable how infrequently I see any of them.

6. Wonder if Facebook will cut into h.s. reunion attendance? I'm sure there'll be a trend story about it eventually, if there hasn't already been.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Based on what I heard about my 25-year reunion a lot of people who weren't going to attend did due to the fact my class has a pretty big Facebook loop going now. It actually helped build momentum & enthusiasm for the reunion.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If I'm reading between the lines here, allow me to rub it in about Slappy's high school's loss last night in the regional semifinals.

9. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

You would be correct, sir.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I haven't been to any of my high school reunions. Considered going to my 20th last year, but covered my winless-ass football team instead. Truthfully, I probably didn't miss much.

The whole thing was elaborate beyond the bounds of sense. A get-together dinner on Friday, a "formal" (?) reunion gathering on Saturday and a cookout Sunday. Jeez. I don't miss any of those people anywhere near that much.

However, thanks to the miracle of Facebook, my Milwaukee parochial school classmates have organized an 8th grade 25th reunion this summer. I wouldn't miss that for the world, especially since I moved away within a year after I entered high school.

No elaborate bullshit either. Reunion is in the basement Rec Hall of the church, the same one we used to goof off in back in the day. There are plenty of bars nearby if festivities go beyond that point.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Bub, given what's happening with Todd Leary, maybe your HS class could move its 25th reunion to a prison yard.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hell, I'd much rather go to an 8th grade reunion than my HS one. I spent 8 years with about 20 kids, and all of them except me then went on to the same HS. I wonder what the little red-headed girl looks like now? [cue the Peanuts cartoon].

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.