1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attending high school reunions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure my class even had a 10th. I'll probably go to the 15th, though, which is -- holy shit -- next freaking summer!! I'm suddenly not feeling so well. Ugh.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm a sucker for reunions. I have my 20th college reunion in a couple of months and a reunion from a previous job in a few weeks. It's not that I was Miss Popularity in high school, but I love knowing what happened to everyone. Plus, I've aged much better than a lot of my classmates at my last high school reunion and that was fun.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have my 20th College Reunion in a few months and I am really on the fence about it. The turnouts are usually reasonable, because they have a reunion weekend with every fifth class there at the same time. I just keep in touch with a very defined group of college friends and I am not sure how many of them are going to be there for it. I have been more nostalgic about college the last year or so, but I am not sure.

Next year will be the 25th H.S. reunion. I have mixed feelings too. We had a very close-knit group in H.S. and even though we don't talk or see each other as much as we once did, I stay in touch with a handful of friends. But I skipped my 20th. And even if there are 10 people I love and will consider lifelong friends, that is going to leave another 30 (who knows how many will show up, though) people I was OK with in H.S., but who never wanted to be buddy-buddy with once I got away from there, and do I really feel the need to put on a charade with them for a few hours? It will be a tough choice, because I imagine I won't have to travel too far for this one.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Have absolutely do desire to go to any of my reunions.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Didn't go to my 10th but went to my 15th, more out of curiosity than anything. Had a pretty good time.

Funny thing is, my wife liked to say that she was popular in high school. Me, I definitely wasn't in the in crowd. When we went to her 10th reunion, none of her closest friends were there, so she spent most of the night introducing herself to people that barely remembered her.

For my reunion, people were coming up to me with handshakes and hugs and all that, and my wife was stunned.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I went to my 10th and 20th reunions and had some fun. I came from a relatively small (40,000 pop.) town that although just an hour from a major city was fairly self-contained. The thing I hate is that the "in" crowd still thinks of themselves as the "in" crowd simply because of what happened in HS. So the cliches still reigned and it merely reinforced the drive I had to get out to college and never look back. I have some good memories but I have fonder memories of college than HS; I think that's the difference, the people who have a blast at the HS reunions get to revile in their past glory; and those like me shake their heads and wonder "why did I come back for this?"

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Haven't been to one since the 5th, which was so long ago now it seems like part of high school.
    I would probably have an awful time if I went to one, but I'll admit I'm really curious about several people. I moved a long way from home a long time ago and I haven't seen but a few of them in the past few decades. I wonder if anyone else feels this way -- it bothers me that I just don't have a context for most of these people, except how they looked at 18.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

40th coming in September. Should be fun.
    Been thinking a bit about high school recently after stumbling upon "17 Again" on TV the other night. It was filmed at my high school. Lots of scenes in the gym, amphitheater, cafeteria, history building. Spent a lot of time in that gym.

9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Didn't go to the 5-year high school reunion. The 10th was called off because of so little interest. The 15th was a blast. By that time most of the hard feelings had been put aside by most people, and there was a lot more collective perspective among the 100-125 who attended. I also found that I was quite surprised by how well some of my former classmates were doing and how much they had changed for the better in 15 years.

Baron, I had a similar instance at the 15th, as I wasn't in the proverbial "in crowd" in high school ... and people whom I hadn't seen since graduation were coming up to me and hugging me and were genuinely interested in what/how I was doing - including a guy who teased me mercilessly in the ninth grade!

You couldn't pay me, however, to go to my college reunion.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

A college reunion would be awesome.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Whenever I get my college alumni newsletter, they always have things in it about reunions. Yet to me, most of the people who attend these are the senior citizens. My college had a 10th reunion, and something like three people attended.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My 20th will be next year, only way I'll go is if my two closest friends get inspired to go, and I'm sure at least one of them won't care. And it will be over a football weekend in another state, never an easy trip to pull off.

Like others said, Facebook satisfies the curiosity enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.