1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attending high school reunions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Anyone have any interesting experiences? Ken Levine wrote this:

<i>"A lot of people I know have been invited recently to their various high school reunions. They all wonder whether they should go. And if the hair plugs will look natural in the next two months. It’s a hard question to answer, whether to go. I guess you have to ask yourself – how much do you want to see these people again? There’s always a risk. That cheerleader who snubbed you might not weigh more than a Ram Charger and the prom king may not be homeless. Romy & Michele might actually be doing better than you.

I’ve been to a couple of my reunions (Go Taft!!). The last one I attended was my 25th. Interesting dynamic. The statue of limitations on harboring feelings apparently expires sometime around twenty years. It was okay to admit, after all these years, that you had a crush on someone. If you admitted that to a girl back in the day you left yourself open for a devastating rejection. But now you probably make her night.

The years play tricks on your memory. I encountered one girl who said she so remembers fondly that period we were going out together. Only problem is – we never went out. I asked her but she blew me off. Big time. I have a VERY good memory when it comes to girls who had nothing to do with me.

But this put me in a very odd position. She must have thought she actually did go out with me. Why else would she leave herself open to me saying, “What are you talking about? You treated me like shit!”? So I figured she probably saw my name on TV and told people she knew me in high school. And that evolved into we were friends and eventually we were a couple.

I decided to just be gracious and agree that it was a wonderful time.

Still, as I walked away I thought, there had to be a better more pithy response than that. A few minutes later I had it but of course it was too late.

The years play tricks on your memory. I encountered one girl who said she so remembers fondly that period we were going out together. Only problem is – we never went out. I asked her but she blew me off. Big time. I have a VERY good memory when it comes to girls who had nothing to do with me.

But this put me in a very odd position. She must have thought she actually did go out with me. Why else would she leave herself open to me saying, “What are you talking about? You treated me like shit!”? So I figured she probably saw my name on TV and told people she knew me in high school. And that evolved into we were friends and eventually we were a couple.

I decided to just be gracious and agree that it was a wonderful time.

Still, as I walked away I thought, there had to be a better more pithy response than that. A few minutes later I had it but of course it was too late.

And then, an hour later, the exact same thing happened with another girl! This time I was ready. I just smiled and nodded when she told her friends what a blast we had together, how funny I always was on our dates. The only time she really laughed was when I asked her out. So I listened patiently and finally I clasped her hands in mine and said, “You know, you were only the second girl I ever slept with.” That jarred her memory. You should have seen the look of puzzlement and horror on her face. Mission accomplished, I kissed her on the cheek, wished her well, and moved on.

Sure you should go to your reunion. Where else are you gonna find moments like that?"</i>

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I don't plan on going at all. Don't really see the point and would likely be a waste of time. I still keep in touch with my close friends from HS anyway.

3. kcsportscaster

kcsportscaster New Member

I'm definitely going to my 20th, yes, 20th high school reunion this summer near Mobile, Alabama. And yeah, I still see a handful of my former classmates around the area from time to time, including one I used to be roommates with a couple of years ago, WHO STUPIDLY NEVER BROUGHT HIS HOT THEN GIRLFRIEND OVER WHILE WE WERE ROOMMATES!!!! I now keep in touch with other former classmates through Facebook, and I'm happy to report that we, myself included, are doing very well with ourselves. I don't know how some of you feel about people you went to high school with, but I consider my former classmates somewhat of an extended family. I don't know about some of you, but I am very much looking forward to my reunion.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Blew off my 20th a few years ago, and am now a few months away from blowing off my 25th.

Thanks to Facebook I'm now back in touch with some good friends from high school, but by and large the whole thing sounds like hell to me. Honestly, I looked through my senior yearbook a few months ago and was kind of surprised at how few of the people in my class I even remembered.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My class sucked. Haven't gone to a reunion yet, tho some guys are talking bout getting together this summer.
    Ms. Slappy's reunion is this summer. I will be The Date for that one.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I made our 2, 5, 10 and 20 but missed my 25.

One of my buddies has been to all of them, which isn't that big a deal except he didn't go to my high school.

It all started at the aforementioned 2-year reunion which was nothing more than a kegger at a state park. We had money left over in our class account and our class president decided his would be a good use of the funds.

Anyway, due to the fact there was free beer my buddy - who was a college roommate of a couple of guys I did go to high school with - tagged along and spent the night introducing himself to people like he had been in school with us. Several folks fell for it. Fast forward three years and we dared him to do it again at the 5-year reunion and he did. It's been a running joke ever since. At this point a good number of people think he went to school with us.

He has never attended any reunions at his own high school.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Good story, Armchair.

On the rare occasions when I've encountered ex-classmates in real life, they've been virtually unrecognizable as the people I knew at 17. So if a complete stranger said he was Don from chemistry class, I'd probably have to take his word for it.

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/841103/

Next year will be 30. I now live just an hour away, but I'm not sure I'll make much of an effort to be there.

I had to cover a playoff basketball game there a few weeks ago. One of the booster club moms working the concession stand graduated two or three years ahead of me and ran around with my sister. She saw my ID badge and asked, "Are you the (my full name) that used to live down the street from us?"

I felt like asking her how many people with that name did she think were running around this part of the country. Instead, I just smiled and said, "Hi, Terri."

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My 10 and 20 were a blast; 25 not so much, because my best friends weren't there. My little hometown (7K) always has a specific reunion weekend every summer so there's always people back from other classes too, and a huge all-class kegger on Friday night.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

My reunion's coming up in July. I really don't want to go; I'm already in touch with friends from high school who matter to me.

Seriously, I have better memories of elementary school.

But I may end up going, if only to tell everybody I have a book coming out and they should buy it. :)

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Work kept me from the fifth and 10th and distance kept me from the 15th. Definitely want to go back to the 20th. Only had 60 in graduating class so no one could sneak into ours, until maybe the 60th when dementia sets in. I saw some pictures from the 15th, which I forwarded to a friend. He wrote back, "If he has some type of terminal disease, I feel bad for saying this, but what the hell happened to Dan?" Dan was a really good athlete in high school, who is now completely bald and overweight, but all the fat's gone to his face. I wish I would have gone to 15th because I still have a full head of hair, none of it gray.

At the 10th reunion for the class a year younger than ours, the highlight of the night was one of the girls was caught banging a loser dirtball who was two years older. He always showed up at parties and crashed that one and ended up fucking Kristie in her car. Only problem was Kristie's married and her husband was in the supper club at the time of said fucking. I heard they got divorced.

I'm not on Facebook and only email with a couple of friends so I would look forward to seeing people and hopefully someone puts together a helpful pamphlet describing what everyone does.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I have no itentions to go to my reunions. The people I care to see I see, the people I don't care to see still show up in my Facebook feed so I can make fun of how trashy they have become.

New trend among girls I graduated with.... gaining weight and having babies out of wedlock. I love Facebook.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.