1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attendance figures in the story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 29, 2007.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for you.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

250 for pro soccer, thats like 240 more than usual

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I've never understood why so many papers consider attendance to be an essential part of every gamer. It's like any other stat -- if it's significant for some reason, tell me about it. Otherwise, forget it.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That kind of ignorance, as well as your braggadocio on the MLB credential thread, is sure to endear you to the membership. Keep on truckin', kid. ::)

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

This probably doesn't speak well of me, but most of the time I'd just eyeball it -- "before an estimated crowd of 6,000" or something.

Guess that kind of defeats the purpose of getting the attendance in, though, huh?

6. expendable

The AD or administrator is guessing too. He doesn't know, or if he does, probably isn't going to give you the honest gate count anyway.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Unless it's out of the ordinary, like a sellout at a Devil Rays game or on the low spectrum or at a record-breaking game like Cal Ripken's streak, I think the numbers shouldn't be in the story. That's why there's a note section -- well, not the only reason. But I think the attendance, if you really want to print it, should go in the notes, if you've got one. Otherwise, I think it's a waste of space, albeit a few a small amount.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Expendable, have your bosses ever said why it's so important?

It's not like you're leaving out the last name of the wide receiver. It's an estimated attendance figure.

9. expendable

It's Some Guy whose bosses say it's important. My bosses are concerned about other trivial things.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I remember the AJC one year decided to include attendance figures in HS games. (It was during a period of a few years when it seemed like they were doing something a little different with HS stories every year. Another year, they gave a geographic description of each school. It was weird.) I'd read those (they were estimated) and wonder how much time the reporter actually spent counting, or whether he said, "Hmm, looks like 900 to me."

Of course, another school I covered games at had a tradition of announcing attendances, generally in the 20,000s. I took it as a great honor when they asked me to pick the attendance on the first night they unveiled some new bleachers. ;D

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You know, now that I think about it, not really. It's just supposed to be part of the story, like the score and the name of the guy who scored the winning touchdown. I don't think anyone really cares, unless the number is special in some way. It's in the box score, anyway, if people are really interested.

12. awriter

awriter Active Member

You're right: It doesn't speak well of you.

Draft saved Draft deleted