1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attack on California transformers a dress rehearsal for terror?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Feb 7, 2014.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Cue the Megatron jokes, I know...but this sounds scary as heck:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-grid-terror-20140207,0,5892405.story#axzz2seUDBAVL

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just think if it wasn't job creators who poisoned West Virginia's water supply but unknown possible terrorists.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

A couple of thoughts.

First, attack plans often involve knocking out communications early in the script, so as to minimize a coordinated response. Want to cut off comms for an entire region? It could hardly be simpler than what these shooters did. I'm buying the notion that it was a dress rehearsal, and I can't help but think that the actual performance would involve much more than taking down a substation. The possibilities are extensive and quite sobering.

Second, the story talks about well-trained snipers. You don't have to be Bob Lee Swagger to make those shots from 40 yards away.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I saw this story in the WSJ this week and essentially thought the same thing; if this doesn't rattle the cage of every utility exec . . .

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Especially since they missed 10 times.

The one guy was quoted as saying it wasn't just some Bubbas who had a couple of beers and decided to shoot up the place. That might be true. Then again, it could have been exactly that. Sure, they didn't hit the parts of the transformers that cause explosions. But maybe that's because they didn't know where to aim to make that happen.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They knew what they were shooting at.

I've looked into this before for another reason — EMP — but those giant substation transformers are not cheap or plentiful. They are hand-built and it takes weeks to months to construct just one. If one of them blows, probably not a problem. If 20 to 100 of them blow at once, that's a huge problem. It could collapse the grid for weeks.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Given my knowledge of drunk rednecks with guns, I don't put that past them.

But maybe it was a terrorist attack. Or a Luddite attack.

Draft saved Draft deleted