1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attack of the Killer Asteroids: This s*** getting real.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This is unrelated to the fly-by of that asteroid later today. A meteorite has crashed into the Russian Urals, injuring about 100 people with the blast:

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Asteroids are God's kidney stones.
  3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Going to see a lot more of this in the coming years as the orbit of a brown dwarf star comes closer and closer to intersecting the earth's orbit.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Here's video of the meteor coming in.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Oh. Good. Superman is finally here.
  6. Football_Bat

This one is even freakier. Brace yourself at 0:27.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, "in the coming years" in terms of geological eras, which means in the next dozen million years or so.

Holy shitstains.

Not that I'm an official rocket scientist or something, but I do try to keep up, and it's pretty clear this will be, by far, the best-documented instance of a meteor strike -- ever.

The real experts will have to get to work on analyzing all the videos, but just by spitballing some of the videos along with the arrivals of the booms and using the thunder-distance rule of thumb (count seconds, divide by 5), looks like the thing was only a few miles off the ground when it broke up.

The multiple bangs (one big bang followed by several smaller ones) indicate the meteor had broken into several pieces, producing sonic booms from multiple sources.
  8. Football_Bat

Wow, multiple views of the meteorite. Probably more coming. This is amazeballs.
  9. dargan

dargan Active Member

Saw a shooting star here around probably around 11 or so while ago. Weird that this happened the same night/morning.
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Normal shooting stars happen all the time. Nothing to get particularly excited about.

Although I suppose a university astronomy department near you might be interested in exactly what time you saw it, what direction it appeared to be heading, etc etc.

The headline writers all across the intertoobz are already in full OMFG!!1111 mode, with "hundreds injured by meteor shower" headlines already popping up.

From most coherent reports, most of the injuries are from flying glass resulting from the sound blasts, not the "meteor shower" itself.

Yeah of course one is the result of the other, but they're not the same thing.

I haven't seen any actual confirmation of an actual projectile impact yet.
  11. dargan

dargan Active Member

Yeah, I see 'em pretty regularly. But not on nights when they INJURE THOWSANDS!!!11!
  12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Figures that Mark would blame something brown.
Draft saved Draft deleted