1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atrocious fashion choices by decade

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Batman likes this.
  2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Let's not forget the helmet of Buchanan's countryman Jackie Stewart:

[​IMG]

Batman likes this.
  3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Going to disagree. Those things were great. Guys wanted to be you when you wore one, the ladies wanted to be with you. Manlier than a members only jacket, but classy enough you could wear to church.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Old story regarding Jerry Buss. Those jackets were his norm back in the 80s. Lakers, Kings, Forum Boxing. One night after a Kings game, Buss walked through the locker room wearing a USC jacket. One of the players asked out loud: "Wow, does he own that too?"

dixiehack likes this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The satin tended to generate a lot of static, though. It wasn't that they looked bad, necessarily, they were just impractical on a certain level.
    The next generation of Starter jackets, however, was damn near perfect. They were the big poofy parkas with a hood and a gigantic pouch in front that I think you could carry a small child in. The designs weren't too garish in the first wave, and they were warm as hell to boot.
    I still have one hanging in my closet.

[​IMG]

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I had one Starter jacket behemoth of my college, similar to the Raiders one above, that I actually wore in college. But the time those things were passable was very short. Probably overall, but definitely once I got it. So I didn't wear it more than a season or two. It's for some reason still at my parents' house and because of lack of use, it's in really good shape. My dad brings it up all the time that it's a good coat and I should wear it. Yeah, no thanks. To him it's a good, warm coat. To everyone else it's an era that has long passed.

7. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Fashion scenes:

The Early 90s
    Grunge -- flannel, ripped jeans, Doc Martins

Hip Hop -- neon spandex (an 80s holdover), gold rope chains, black sports apparel
    ---
    The Late 90s
    Skater bois and/or Nu Metal -- JNCO, Airwalks, chain wallets, ear spacers, man braids

Everyone else -- Hilfiger/Nautica jean shorts, baggy everything, frosted tips or bowl cuts, girls in baby tees

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I was wearing flannel to school every day in the '80s. I regret the missed opportunity to become a fashion icon.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

There's still time. Shirts without sleeves are getting trendier by the day.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted