1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atrocious fashion choices by decade

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I played softball through the 80s and that's what we all wore.

2. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I seem to recall most girls in my high school classes (1990-94) wearing shoulder pads. And stirrup pants. I don't see those coming back anytime soon. As for me, it was frosted Z Cavaricci (sp?) jeans that were rolled up at the bottom, and you cinched your belt. Then, a plain white T with an unbuttoned flannel.
    (Actually, that cinched belt just reminded me of the brilliant Farley/Spade/Sandler SNL bit when they're at the mall cafeteria taking a break from the Gap. That is a great example of 90s fashions.)

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

As a small boy (5 or 6) in the 1970s, I had a white dress shirt with big roses embroidered on the front panels just below the shoulders.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That was definitely the '80s. My mom did that. I never understood why a thirtysomething woman wanted to walk around looking like Bea Arthur in The Golden Girls.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Skinny jeans, which, thankfully, I've always been too old to wear (even if I do still have body that could still pull it off), are terrible, right along with suits that are way too small and too tight.

Big padded shoulders and baggy pleated pants were about as bad as the '90s got.

But nothing was worse than the '70s. Platform shoes, big bell bottom pants, polyester shirts with huge collars, leisure suits. I cringe looking at my high school yearbook.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Late 80s, early 90s, I used to wear jeans with holes in the knees. They were natural holes that had just worn through, with the threads hanging off, unlike other jeans, that had holes deliberately cut in them.

Used to love wearing them.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Still got one of these bad boys in the hall closet:

[​IMG]

Batman likes this.
  8. Machine Head

Dude, I thought the U was your team in Florida?

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

College, yes....Dolphins, NFL....and I watch way more college football than NFL these days. U swag very hard to find in Canuckistan, NFL shit is everywhere.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Did somebody say shoulder pads? (click on: about a week ago)

11. Machine Head

The NFL Internet Squad is probably watching this thread after getting pinged by the Quarterback Club reference and will have now seen you called their merchandise shit.

Be like Brady and don't give them your cell when they come for you.

Batman, cranberry and Huggy like this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The plaid look extended to sports, as well. 1972 lightweight title fight between Roberto Duran and Ken Buchanan.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted