1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

aTm?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Are you sure he's not going to UAB? Where there's UAB smoke, there's UAB Blazers.

JackReacher likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

He was going to, but we didn't have an open roster spot, so we found him a Juco slot in Mississippi.

Just 625 more days till kickoff.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Very quietly Bill Clark is building something that can turn goat piss into gasoline. And if the mayor and city council can take a break from choking each other out, he'll have a new stadium before decade's end.

5. Neutral Corner

If things break right, UAB will play in a new stadium in 2017. It's close.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I recommend Kyler Murray join the guy who originally recruited him and go to Kansas. He can be the next Todd Reesing. ;)

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They can approve, design & build a football stadium in 20 months? Seems pretty far-fetched.

8. Neutral Corner

Whether that happens depends on getting things started. I know that a lot of things have been done quietly behind the scenes. It's going through the Birmingham-Jefferson Civic Center authority, instead of city hall directly, which helps some. BJCC will float the bonds, which cuts the UA BoT out of the financial picture. BJCC wants to package a 45k seat open air stadium, a new convention building, and general refurbishing of the BJCC complex. There are plans for a parking deck as a future add on to the complex, and furthest out of all a possible replacement for the BJCC arena that would be able to compete for NCAA March Madness duty. I'm not sure to what degree design on these is being done as a package deal, although the stadium is the first construction priority. If the bids/designs are packaged the other parts may be slowing down starting on the stadium. Keep in mind also that although in a general sense we know what is happening it has not been formally announced yet. BJCC says they are doing it, the UA BoT has approved UAB leasing it long term as anchor tenant, but things are not rock solid yet. That has been close for some time, but there are always issues, and anytime the City of Birmingham is involved, eh, there are issues. They have to argue about splitting up the graft. #TheBrawlInTheHall

It's possible, and getting more likely with each week that passes without a firm announcement, that UAB plays at Lesion Field in 2017. OTOH, the group of local big business types who stepped in to help force the return of football includes the Gorrie brothers of Brasfield and Gorrie, who built the Georgia Dome, and are currently building the new Braves stadium. In one of the meetings, UAB AD Mark Ingram kept talking about beginning to play in the new stadium in 2018. Miller Gorrie, who is generally pretty quiet, said that 2017 was doable. Ingram started talking about how long it too to assemble building materials, prep a site, pour concrete. Gorrie gave him the eye and said "Young man, we've built stadiums all over the south. When the main interstate interchange in Birmingham was damaged and had to be replaced we bid to do the job in 90 days. They said that wasn't possible. We did it in 37 days. Don't try to tell me about pouring concrete."

If UAB plays in the new facility in 2017, most likely it will not be fully completed. You'd be looking at playing surface, home and visiting sides, with the ends yet to be completed, and at less than full seating capacity. It wouldn't be the end of the earth to do one more season at Legion Field. At least the hot water works in the locker rooms now. The city installed a new Jumbotron and did some refurb on the Old Gray Lady.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  9. Neutral Corner

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I knew this was going to be a Trojan Horse UAB thread.

FileNotFound likes this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think you mean uAb ...

12. Neutral Corner

I'd rather you didn't phrase it that way. It's all about the B.

doctorquant likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted