1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atlantic: The 50 Worst Columns of the Year

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Well, there you go, LTL. Like I said, nothing in the descriptions of those gave me want to read any of them.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Amazingly enough, that was not the column I was talking about. The CSI one was her ridiculous pandering at the convention, in August. The yard signs one was her ridiculous pandering on the eve of the election, in November. And that's the last column on the list. Noonan must be so proud to make it with TWO versions of the same column.

http://blogs.wSportsJournalists.com/peggynoonan/2012/11/05/monday-morning/

There is no denying the Republicans have the passion now, the enthusiasm. The Democrats do not. Independents are breaking for Romney. And there’s the thing about the yard signs. In Florida a few weeks ago I saw Romney signs, not Obama ones. From Ohio I hear the same. From tony Northwest Washington, D.C., I hear the same.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I realize columnists are paid to share their opinions, but I was quite surprised how uninformed and self-centered so many of these (some of the "big names") were. Especially those that don't have other gigs.

"This happened to me the other day, it's a sign of (insert broad rationalization about what is right/wrong with America today)."

GET A BLOG!!!

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Which poster is this?

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/carpenter/mc-pc-dorney-park-right-to-ban-tattoos-20120529,0,5750831.column

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ooh, I know what I'm getting our dog for Christmas.

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

OK, I am a little upset now that you posted a link that I just had to read ...

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

God, that was spectacular.

Bet he's a lot of fun.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

List any 50 Krugman blatherings and the compilation would be fine...

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

What the fuck? Must have autocorrected "thugs" to "pugs." And no one caught that?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This column has gone viral and drawn responses (most good-natured) from the honorees.

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/12/20/no-shortage-of-material-for-the-atlantic-wires-worst-columns-feature/

Says the compiler: "Also, one reader called me out on a glaring omission: Mark Judge in the Daily Caller basically saying black people stole his bike. I regret not including it."

http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/09/the-end-of-my-white-guilt/

Since the time I was an undergrad at Catholic University in the 1980s, most of the crime that has occurred on campus has come from those neighborhoods, which are predominately black. As sure as it took the D.C. cops forever to get to the parking lot to file a report, I knew that the odds were very high that a black person had taken my bike — maybe one of the kids that had been described.

Hmmm ... Mark Judge ... Mark2010 ... think about it ...

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

None from Albom? He could be 1 through 50, if he wrote 50 columns.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Maureen Dowd on RGIII didn't make the list? WTF?

Draft saved Draft deleted