1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atlanta's All-time HR leader?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 4, 2007.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Dale Murphy was my boyhood hero, like most boys within a 100-mile radius of Fulton County Stadium. When we signed up for Little League, No. 3 was always the first taken. And like CI, even my sister has a cat named Murphy.

Is there a way to do a group hug here? I apologize.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I have a picture of me as a 6-year-old in front of a Dale Murphy shrine. My grandfather took it. No. 3 was his favorite player in those days.

I'm still not sure what the slight to Murphy was on this thread, other than Chipper being about to pass him as Atlanta's home-run leader. Chipper's one of my favorite players, too. I've still got a sign that says "#10 for ROY." I bought it for $0.50 outside Fulton County Stadium before a 1995 NLCS game. No way Nomo should have won that damn award.

Anyway, no offense taken. Carry on.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I will say that Dale Murphy was largely a product of his ballpark and spit the bit big time in too large of a proportion of his career to be any kind of HOF candidate.

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Murphy was arguably the best player of the early 1980s, but I begrudgingly agree about the latter part of your assessment. I still love the bastard, anyway.

5. Herbert Anchovy

I apologize once again, I just wanted to give context to the sentiments. Felt he'd been squatted on. It sucked to see him go to Philly and Colorado and flame out.

I remember the ceremony and the hand he got when he came back: Skip: "LISTEN to this crowd!" Skip said that even in 1986 and the same words later in August 1991 and during the combined no-hitter in September and in the Smoltz clincher in Oct. 1991, but for whatever reason, that night it just meant more.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I remember Glavine getting ejected for half-heartedly throwing four straight 60 mph junkballs over Murphy's head because he was the first batter up after the Phillies pitcher had intentionally thrown at Otis Nixon. :D

7. Herbert Anchovy

I was just telling a friend the other day how great it would have been to pull back the trade to Philly and have Murphy on the 1991 team strictly as a role player. Dale Murphy or Keith Mitchell or Jerry Willard (even IF Willard won a postseason game with a sac fly)?

8. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Did Otis Nixon strip down and go after the pitcher with a knife? ;)

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Actually, Eddie Matthews holds the home run records for both the Milwaukee Braves and the city of Milwaukee. He hit 452 home runs between 1953 and 1965. Hank hit 420 homers for Milwaukee - 398 for the Braves between 1954 and 1965, and 22 for the Brewers in 1975 and 1976.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/a/aaronha01.shtml

Matthews was also the only man to play for the Braves in Boston, Milwaukee and Atlanta. In fact, he's the only man in modern baseball history (and perhaps all of baseball history) to have played for one franchise in three different home cities.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/matheed01.shtml

10. Herbert Anchovy

I watched the game when Otis had five or six stolen bases against the Expos.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I stand corrected, JJ. Didn't realize Mathews had more. :)

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Good stuff. The only other possibility would have been for an A's player to play for Philadelphia, KC and Oakland between 1954-68. (None did.)

Draft saved Draft deleted