1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atlanta's All-time HR leader?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 4, 2007.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Diamond Kings! My favorite all-time baseball subset!

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Dale Murphy had his own celebration night while he was on an opposing team, facing the club that had compiled six consecutive finishes below .450, and which went on to play in the World Series.

Tell me, Stat Boy, when the last time that ever happened?

3. Herbert Anchovy

I'll answer it for you then, you jackass.

It's because some things can't be run through your homefield database. Some of us actually do WATCH baseball.

You're still going to be the "expert" who said Buck O'Neil had no place in the Hall.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh, lay the fuck off. ::)

I said Buck O'Neil did not deserve to be in as a player, which is the only category he falls in as the HOF situation currently stands.

I also said that the HOF should create some kind of dedication-to-baseball lifetime-service award so that MLB could honor people like Buck, like Johnny Pesky, like Jimmie Reese, and like all those baseball lifers who don't fit into the very specific player/manager/umpire/executive/pioneer categories that the Hall of Fame currently honors. And I said that award should be called the Buck O'Neil Ambassadors' Award, to honor a man who more than anyone else dedicated his life to being an ambassador of the game.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Oh, bullshit. You proposed a separate niche for O'Neil, as /ambassador/, a 21st century term if there ever was one, as if he was never pushed into that ever before. The logs are gone.

Not when it comes to Murphy. I've had all I can stands, I can't stands no more. That kinda thing.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bullshit nothing. He doesn't get in as a player. He's the equivalent of Bill Madlock as a hitter. Couple of all-star teams, couple of batting titles. Not a Hall of Fame player.

I proposed a separate niche for all baseball lifers, like O'Neil, like Pesky, like Reese, who didn't do enough as players to get in.

7. Herbert Anchovy

buckqueefer, not quite.

You, with your SABR scepter, think you can assign a far corner for people you feel O'Neil fit neatly, based on "numbers" he never even got to fulfill.

It's not about you, bitch. The sooner you learn that the better.

Get it and get it now: Baseball fans don't care about your printups. You're the guy they'd like to hold over the trashcan. And if I were in the clubhouse with someone like you, I might even help.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

But I'll respond to this one:

- SABR has nothing to do with the Hall of Fame.

- Last year's Hall of Fame voting was done because of the injustice to all those Negro Leagues stars. It has everything to do with the fact that they weren't given a chance to play in the major leagues.

- The voting itself was based on real numbers, real accounts of real games that took place. The research done on the Negro Leagues is extraordinary, and a credit to those who have worked so hard to shed light on what those players had to deal with to play baseball for a living. Buck O'Neil's performance in those games did not stack up to his peers', simple as that. He was a two-time batting champion and he made a couple of all-star teams. There were other players in the Negro Leagues who had far better careers, and those players were and have been honored by getting inducted into the Hall of Fame.

- The Hall of Fame is not a feel-good institution, and THAT's a 21st-century term if there ever were one. Buck O'Neil's induction would have been a feel-good decision, but that's it. Nobody's descendants are getting 40 acres and a mule anytime soon and Buck O'Neil is not getting inducted into the Hall of Fame as a player. No amount of postering or personal attacks is going to change that.

- There are other ways to honor Buck O'Neil, far more appropriate than a Hall of Fame induction. Besides, his presence is all over Cooperstown and the Negro Leagues are very much a part of the museum. He's also a larger-than-life part of the museum he loved most, the one in Kansas City. You can't say the Hall of Fame doesn't honor Buck's memory, or the Negro Leagues. It does -- in the museum.

9. CentralIllinoisan

What did YOU do to piss off LJB?

10. CentralIllinoisan

And, by the way, he didn't answer his own question. ... about the celebration by a former team. Just sayin' :)

11. Herbert Anchovy

I have no animus toward buckweaver, though I will say I think he and his phyla spend too much time with the numbers and not watching real baseball. This started out as a slight upon Dale Murphy that I perceived was wrong. And I took off from there.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

FWIW, there are two factions of SABR -- the math geeks and the word geeks. I'm one of the latter. I'm really out of my element when it comes to devising formulas and crunching numbers.

Then again, not all of us are as incompetent as Paul DePodesta. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted