1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atlanta's All-time HR leader?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 4, 2007.

1. Quick, who is the Atlanta Braves all-time career home run leader?

Easy, Hank Aaron.

Nope. Not according to the Associated Press.

Saw this item in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette this morning.

The Associated Press

Dale Murphy was in his last season with the Atlanta Braves in 1990 when a skinny high school shortstop walked into the clubhouse.

Murphy had no idea the kid, Chipper Jones, would be the player to break his record for most home runs with Atlanta. Then Murphy watched Jones hit.

"It was obvious he was a great talent," Murphy said.

Now 35, Jones leads the NL with 10 homers and has 367 for his career, only four behind Murphy's Atlanta record.

Can anyone clarify how Aaron is not the club leader? The only explanation I can think of is his stats from the Milwaukee Braves days don't count, which is a steaming load.
    Aaron hit 335 home runs while the Braves were in Atlanta.
    However, all but 22 of his career home runs were hit donning a Braves cap.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've seen that statistic listed that way, too. I think it was an ESPN broadcast of a Braves game recently. I agree. Its' stupid. They should be including the entire franchise history.

3. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Silliness at work. Of course, in between Murphy, Jones, and Aaron is Eddie Matthews. It's silly because the Braves obviously don't do it that way. It'd be like taking their '57 Series title and tossing it away.

4. nobody's saying Dale Murphy is the Braves' HR leader, just Atlanta's HR leader

not that complicated

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Trivia question:

Who is the Nationals' all-time San Juan HR leader? ::)

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I dont think the Milwaukee stats don't count; but can be treated separately.

7. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

The Dodgers announce "Los Angeles Dodgers" records all the time, excluding the decades in Brooklyn.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

At some point, someone asked, "Which player has hit the most home runs as an Atlanta Brave?" If someone wants to know, who are we -- an industry that has taken situational statistics to extreme detail -- to deem it a silly question? Plus, if they switched cities, they also switched ballparks. How do the Texas Rangers list their franchise leaders?

By the way, Eddie Mathews is way down on this particular list. He only hit 16 of his 512 homers after the team moved to Atlanta. He's behind, among others, Rowland Office (who hit 26 for the A Braves).

Also by the way, Andruw Jones has already passed Aaron on the Atlanta list ...

9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Basically it's a way to give Chipper some sort of honor for his longetivity with the club.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would imagine the same way as the Braves, though I'm not completely sure.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Didn't they cover that with the Most Hooters Waitresses Bagged Award?

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Interestingly, according to the MLB Rangers website, Frank Howard is the third all-time in homers for the Rangers with 246 even though he only played one season in Texas. They appear to have taken his Washington Senators stats, for whom he played seven seasons into account.

And on the MLB Braves site, Aaron is the all-time leader with 733, followed by Matthews (493), Murphy and C. Jones.

Draft saved Draft deleted