1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atlanta to cut 80 newsroom jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fromdawntodesk, Feb 15, 2007.

1. fromdawntodesk

fromdawntodesk New Member

By Leon Lazaroff
    Feb. 15 (Bloomberg) — The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the largest newspaper in the Southeastern U.S., plans to restructure its newsgathering and eliminate 80 newsroom jobs to shift to a 24-hour news cycle.
    The newspaper plans to create more positions focused on the Internet and eliminate jobs no longer needed in the transition, Atlanta-based parent company Cox Enterprises Inc. said today in a statement. Circulation will be refocused on 73 counties nearest to Atlanta.
    The changes in newsroom structure and job cuts at the Atlanta Journal-Constitution come as newspapers including the Boston Globe, Philadelphia Inquirer and San Jose Mercury News have reduced staffs and beefed up their Internet operations to follow readers and advertisers to the Web.
    Cox plans to close its Fulton County printing plant within two years and spend $30 million upgrading the Gwinnett County site to handle all production. The company will discontinue circulation in areas far outside Atlanta, the statement said.
    Spokeswoman Mary Dugenske didn’t immediately return phone calls seeking comment.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Probably lost her job.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I love how these things are worded so going to a 24-hour newscycle and doing more for online (while still putting out the paper) necessitates getting rid of people.

Yeah, sure.

4. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Glad to see this - I would sure hate for the Cox sisters to run out of money and I know they're hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Miserable rat bastard m@##%$%fers.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I was thinking the same thing.

More hours need to be worked. Two products need to be produced. Less people will be doing it.

I don't get it.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Where does it say the cuts will be voluntary?

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Hopefully some people who have positions that are being eliminated can get some of the jobs being created.

8. Deep South Hack

Deep South Hack New Member

Poynter has email from editor-in-chief. Bye-bye morning paper.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

From that e-mail...

"Shawn McIntosh moves to a new job, Director of Culture and Change, focusing on all of the organizational issues to move us where we need to go. These include training, analysis of process and implementation of standards, and guiding the transition in the months ahead. Her job will be critical to make sure we really change."

Director of Culture and Change. Ah, now that's old school newspapering. Remember back in the day, you always had the grizzled city editor, the tenacious cops reporter, the gumshoe investigative guy, a Grantland Rice-type wordsmith at the ballpark, and a really good Director of Culture and Change.

Gag.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I'd only seen the wire story. Of course, what happens if not enough of the old folks take the buyout?

11. here's our newsroom

you can see our director of culture and change over there on the far right ...

[​IMG]

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So is Ronnie Ramos still sports editor? Are they part of that big ol' news team? This is very curious.

Draft saved Draft deleted