1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atlanta teachers convicted in grade-inflation scandal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Apr 1, 2015.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but who wants to get into that kind of fag shit when you can do fracking or warehousing?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What time is today's lesson on arrays?

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Then teach it in med school or law school.

I could think of literally hundreds of subjects more practical and topical to be teaching high school students.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

My niece, 14, is in her second year of Latin. She loves it.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What is the "sincere" reading of my post?

Go ahead, tell me what you think I was trying to say.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The Gaussian elimination workshop will commence at 2 p.m. Upon its conclusion, we will proceed to the Markov chains mixer ...

7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I took Latin for three years in junior high. It was no help in law school or in the practice of law.

However, there wasn't a chance in hell Latin was going to make sense without strong understanding of grammar. I felt it helped me with vocabulary, too.

Thanks to Latin, I nailed the verbal portion of the SATs.

8. YankeeFan

Maybe Tony is wrong, but your anecdotal evidence doesn't prove much of anything either.

Yes, the good public school systems are doing well, and offer an array of programs. My brother and his wife pulled their kids from Catholic grade schools and put them in the public school system because they had programs for "gifted" students. The Catholic schools were too small and under funded to offer anything other than a one-size-fits-all track.

But, many of the failing schools have been failing for years, and aren't doing much differently.

9. Songbird

I call bullshit. You'll just confuse the fuck out of students with your whole 90-minute test-taking thing so ain't a way Gaussian eliminations start at 2.

(I can make it at 2:30 though.)

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If you don't know Latin, how in the hell will you ever get this limerick?

There was a young lawyer named Rex
    Who had a small organ for sex
    When accused of exposure
    He replied with composure
    De minimus non curat lex*

*The law does not concern itself with trifles

HC likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

I'm all for teaching Chinese, Arabic, or Russian in schools. It makes a lot more sense than just teaching Spanish by default.

Teaching Latin does make sense for a number of reasons though, and probably makes sense to teach it earlier, rather than waiting for high school. As the parent language to all Romance languages, if you learn Latin, you will be able to learn Italian, Spanish, French, etc., easier. You understand the building blocks of language. It's like learning to play the piano before learning other instruments.

But, if you wait until high school to teach it, you probably lose that benefit.

The other obvious benefit to teaching Latin and Greek is that you can read the classics in their original language.

Songbird likes this.
  12. Songbird

A buck for a duck
    A duck for a fuck and
    A buck for a fucked-up duck

Where does that lie on the math spectrum?

Draft saved Draft deleted