1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atlanta teachers convicted in grade-inflation scandal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Apr 1, 2015.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Don't forget Riptide, Ace and OOPsie.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I'm well aware of our shitty public education system, and I'm also aware that it's OK to agree with something that is obviously wrong even when that wrong thing is brought to my attention by someone I don't agree with politically.

LTL: Fine, it's good that we cured cancer. But that doesn't excuse the original poster's voting record!

old_tony likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I see we're now at the point of a thread where Sunshine puts his butt-hurt out there in a passive-aggressive way for the next five pages. Typical to cover the lack of actual knowledge on real topics.

Lates.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I never said standardized tests should not be part of the equation, but they are becoming too large a part, but they are a relatively poor measure of teacher performance. The current view and approach is too simplistic.

As an example, you have two teachers with students at the same grade level at the same middle school. Both have the same number of students, but one has two classes that with groups of special education students. Approximately 30 of her 120 students are special ed, while the other teacher has none. The direction things are going in now, a larger and larger portion their evaluations would be based on raw state test scores. Is that a fair evaluation?

Among other issues, a larger emphasis needs to be placed on tests that measure progress rather than overall scores.

Also, Tony, I noted the little personal digs at myself and other posters. Please not that I am discussing the actual topic. Once again, I respectfully ask that you extend the same courtesy.

6. old_tony

So how does a test measure progress without a score?

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Honest question, not being racist: why were all eleven who were convicted African-American?

8. outofplace

Tony, please read more closely. For the second time, I'm not saying you take standardized tests out of the equation. I'm saying they are being given too prominent a role. You also need tests that measure progress of each individual student, which are a much better measure of a teacher. Of course, those are more difficult and costly. Observation by administrators plays a role. Perhaps even a system where administrators from other buildings in the district or other districts step in if you are worried about impartiality.

This gets back to the same point I've tried to make with YF. The current movement is driving good people out of teaching. You've got veteran teachers who love the profession saying they no longer advise their students, family or friends to pursue education as a career.

You've got this toxic mix of people afraid that our students aren't getting a good education wanting a quick fix and politicians who realize that teachers and administrators are easy targets. The result is a push for changes that make it easier for teachers to be fired, even good ones, while putting artificial obstacles in their way as they try to do their jobs. Does that sound like a profession you'd want to jump into?

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Maybe just a coincidence? Atlanta has a high percentage of black residents.

ETA: 61.4 percent by last count.

10. old_tony

Again, how do you measure the progress "of each individual student" without testing? The public schools system was in a terrible downward spiral long before NCLB was ever a thought. In fact NCLB was an attempt to curb the long downward spiral. As I like to point out, we used to teach Latin in high school, now we're teaching remedial English in college. That didn't just start happening in the last 20 years.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I prefer "Big Testing".

MisterCreosote likes this.
  12. outofplace

No surprise from somebody who has clearly defined himself as anti-teacher.

Draft saved Draft deleted