1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atlanta just months from running out of water; Corps: No Plan B needed yet

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Oct 19, 2007.

1. KG

KG Active Member

The water situation in Atlanta really is bad.

This is where I used to swim. Spent lots of days there this summer until the levels started dropping and I kept bumping into stuff on the bottom. Normally in the middle I couldn't even find the bottom. It's not a beach area, you actually had to trek through a trail in the woods to get to it, so there should be no "beach" showing, just water.
    [​IMG]

Also this summer I fished from near the top of these rocks. The water was high enough for me to keep my feet in the water while fishing.
    [​IMG]

This one I took from an "island" that I WALKED to with my dog. It normally takes me a few minutes to get to it in the canoe.
    [​IMG]

I'm not taking this situation as lightly as the Corps seems to be.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Sonny Perdue has asked for a disaster declaration. How much longer can the corps deny there's a problem now?

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I have a man-made pond behind my house that has not been full in well over a year. It hasn't gone dry, either, but the fish are complaining about overcrowding.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Here in Texas it rained all summer. Hell, it didn't get really hot until late August and it has yet to cool down. It was over 90 degrees today.

5. Tell them to STFU or you have a nice warm, dry spot on your grill for them ...

6. KG

KG Active Member

Despite how low Lake Allatoona has gotten, I bet I still couldn't catch a decent fish there--even with them all being forced into smaller areas. I lost my touch after being way too cocky one time when I went fishing and smoked everyone.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Are the lakes up on the Ga-NC border dry as well?

8. KG

KG Active Member

I believe so, but not quite as bad as the ones closer to Atl.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Pretty cold in this part of Texas at the moment, thanks to the norther that just blew in. Temperature and wind gusts both in the 40s.

10. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

There was a short article on the front of the USA Today this weekend talking about it. We had rain here Thursday and Friday, but it wasn't much. There's an 80 percent chance tomorrow, but we're still way under normal.

The lake I use in the summer isn't a big one anyway (6,000 acres or so) and it feeds in to a river about the size of a 4-lane highway at its very widest point, but they've basically emptied the lake to keep the river from going dry. The lake is mostly a recreational area, whereas the river is used for small agriculture and practical living uses. I was down there two weeks ago and could see the bottom of the lake in every part but the very middle of the cove we use, which is normally 15-20 feet deep in the summer.

We haven't had any advisories like Atlanta, but there are parts of the state really struggling.

Like you Angola, we're still experiencing summer too. It's normally anywhere from the 40s to the low 60s right now (and you're lucky when it touches 60), and I've been in shorts since May. Supposedly it's cooling down this week, but it was supposed to last week too.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So if the ACE decides to withhold water for Atlanta, it's OK that everyone downtrickle gets fucked?
    Fuck that....

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Didn't used to be that way. They've been criminally underfunded for years, and President Stupid slashed their budget by over 10 percent this year.

They used to be the best in the world.

It is sad indeed.

Draft saved Draft deleted