1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atlanta Journal-Constitution -- Sports Copy Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RanaCash, Jul 3, 2007.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Who moved from golf? Is Stan not on that beat anymore?

2. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

The beat has just changed names and emphasis. Stan's still covering golf, just not quite as much of it as he might have previously. And he's helping out a lot as a GA guy.

3. What's the average pay for a copy editor at a large daily like that?

4. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Starting copy editor? I'd guess around 40K, depending upon experience.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This isn't a starting CE position. They want someone with slot experience and at least five years total experience.

6. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I understand that, MileHigh. When I said "starting," meant "starting at the AJC," not "starting fresh out of college." Obviously, they're going to be expecting you to have a good amount of experience, which is why they're going to pay you in the neighborhood of 40K, I'd guess. If you're truly a starting CE fresh out of college, you're not going to get this job, and you're not going to make 40K.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I am quite certain, based on experience, this job pays a lot more than $40K.

8. I would definitely imagine that to be that case, I think they will be hard pressed to get someone with 5 years of slot experience for 40k. I imagine it would be $50k+, but I don't really have much basis for this.

9. If it's only 40K,that'd be depressing.

10. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

You're probably right, MileHigh. I was just guessing. I don't have direct knowledge or anything.

11. heytkachuk

heytkachuk New Member

Has anyone interviewed yet? Can anyone from the AJC shed some light on this?

Draft saved Draft deleted