1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atlanta J-C eliminates copy desk

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Newspaper companies are very eager to cut their own throats.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

All I ask is for webcam access the first time a group of folks from Ohio try to determine which Peachtree an event took place on.

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Anyone get any hints yet as to whether the sports copy desk will land in Dayton or West Palm Beach? South Florida friends tell me there is some fierce lobbying going on.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Really interested to see how this all works out, what problems crop up, etc.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Always vote for Peachtree Battle, which is my personal favorite.

Or W. Peachtree.

Or Peachtree Road.

Or Peachtree Street.

Or Peachtree Road NE.

Really, you can't go wrong. (Thank god for my GPS)

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Don't forget North Peachtree, New Peachtree, Peachtree Industrial Blvd., Peachtree Center... And then there's Peachtree City, a suburb south of Atlanta near the airport.

And did I mention that I attended Peachtree High School (no, I am not making that up)?

7. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

No word yet, only that features will go one direction, sports the other. From a skill standpoint, West Palm makes the most sports sense. I'm just hoping there will be enough new jobs for the people who want to relocate.

8. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

My buddy's Uncle Walter used to live on Peachtree Battle and later moved to a high rise on Peachtree.
    All the time (and money) I've spent (re: wasted) in Atlanta and I continued to marvel at the number of Peachtree street names driving back in the rain Friday night with one working windshield wiper after seeing The Jayhawks at the Buckhead Theatre.

9. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Yeah, I was grasping for a reason that someone might've thought about for a minute. I found even less than I originally thought I'd found.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

As a subscriber, it would appear the AJC had already done this months and months ago...

11. Anthony7

Anthony7 New Member

From what I understand on Dayton's end, there has been NO decision as of yet on how the duties break down. It would make sense to break the duties down by different sections, though. As for West Palm lobbying for the sports sections....well, be careful what you wish for....:)

And knowing which Peachtree is what will not be a concern of this new copy desk. Atlanta has a word desk that will deal with copy before the desk gets it. That will be their responsibility.

A big reason I believe Dayton got one of the desks is that it's already a shared desk for the DDN, Springfield News Sun, Middletown Journal and Hamilton JournalNews. The learning curve won't be as great for the workers there.

12. Anthony7

Anthony7 New Member

Also, Dayton copy deskers were told they would NOT have to reapply for their job. And since it's a universal desk, they won't be expected to move. So someone doing features now in Dayton won't have to move to West Palm. They'll just do whatever duties are sent their way.

Draft saved Draft deleted