1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atlanta J-C eliminates copy desk

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"This is Lou . . . I impersonated a coach, for years . . . "

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Citizen copy desks. That's the ticket.

Just put them in a room and a sign on the door that says "Concerned Reader." We've all gotten the call from that person before.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sweet Jesus, you need people who know what they're looking at.

Fact of the matter is that the number of error-laden books hitting the market are the direct result of insufficient dedication of resources in this area.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

My opinion, based on only some local evidence: Palm Beach.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Well, not that it's the fault of anyone in the sports department there, but Atlanta's is crap these days.

6. printdust

printdust New Member

The cocaine-snorting bean counters and CEOs can't see where these guys sell anything. Now if they were advertising executives...that's the ticket too. AJC needs to lay off 30 percent more of its newsroom and hire 20 percent more sales force. They still come out ahead. Hell, they'd take five seconds to let that absorb, do it, then vote bonuses. This is a sick, sick, sick mess, Corporate America. People who really don't understand the value of WORK. They sure as hell don't understand investment. If these people had started the housing industry, we'd all be living in mud huts.

7. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Could putting the hub in Ohio be a timezone issue? It seems like the only plus is, it'd allow another hour of deadline breathing room for stuff coming in from the Eastern papers.

Not that this isn't a horrible idea on most every level, but that's the only possible logic it I can see.

ETA: Of course, Austin would've made more sense if this were the case...I got nothing.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

There's still enough talent in Atlanta that I think it's better. But not nearly by the degree it should be.

9. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I got an email from a friend of mine at the AJC (one of the few people there I still know) who said Thursday was busy with "more consolidations and operational efficiencies, aka layoffs."
    Didn't know the Bobs had made a visit to the Perimeter again.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The internet has ruined grammer for good.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

He also got typecast as a snooty psychologist. But I have confidence his career will get gooder soon.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I judge by your edit that you realize Dayton is also in the Eastern time zone, like Atlanta and West Palm? Just checking.

Draft saved Draft deleted