1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atlanta J-C eliminates copy desk

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How far are we from, "Thank you for calling Indonesia, I'm your slot guy for the night..."

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Not very far, I'm afraid.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

When you see cricket on the front page of AJC sports, you'll know what happened...

4. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Won't happen. They play cricket in Cobb County. That's outside of AJC's coverage area.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Everything other than the writers will soon be outsourced.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If you think writing can't be outsourced, I got news for you. You can write from a PR anywhere.

7. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

West Palm peep says execs are deciding where to house the hub sports desk and features desk. West Palm won't keep both. Somebody's going to Dayton. Also said designers are part of the desk, and will go with their respective desks. So almost every section will be edited and designed in a different city.
    As for specific jobs, everyone who wants one has to reapply, and you may apply for any spot, regardless of location.
    West Palm peeps have been through the reapply process at least once.

8. "Thank you for calling copy desk, this is Peggy ... " ;D

9. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I don't think editing and design is going to have much of a place in the digital world. Won't even have jobs for Peggy.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Copy desks are overratted.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

This might have been a dumb question a few years ago, but who has the best sports section among Atlanta, Austin and West Palm Beach?

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You should have that put on coffee mugs or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted