1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atlanta J-C eliminates copy desk

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 27, 2011.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Just heard through the grapevine that the Atlanta J-C will eliminate its copy desk and consolodate everyone in Dayton by next May or June, where they will handle copy for all four Cox papers. Don't have more details, like how many people are affected, etc. Severance was not anywhere near as good as previous packages.

So glad to be out of that business.
  2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Dumb question, since you say it right out, but this obviously means Palm Beach will now be edited in Dayton, too?
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I guess, not sure. Just heard that supposedly four papers will now be edited in Dayton. Not sure who all is in the Cox clan.
  4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, PB is one of the main ones, so if they're moving the AJC copy operation there, I would assume Palm Beach is going there, too.
  5. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Damn. Worst news of the day. Have friends in both places who were fearing this. PB Post just had layoffs two weeks ago.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Didn't they sell Daytona Beach? That would leave Austin as the fourth. It would also mean they pulled a Gannett and chose the shittiest location possible for the U desk.
  7. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

It just makes you shake your head. I got away from copy editing four years ago because I feared consolidation would become a nationwide trend.

I'm really sorry I was right.

Bottom line: A newspaper as large as the AJC should have a copy desk.
  8. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Austin, Atlanta, West Palm and Dayton were the options. Nothing against Dayton, but Dayton??
  9. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Wonder how soon? My friends in West Palm were expecting a decision but weren't clear on when it would begin. For many reasons, this isn't as easy as getting people to move from Raleigh to Charlotte.
  10. editor007

editor007 New Member

Actually, there will be two desks. One in Dayton and one in Palm Beach. Dayton was probably chosen because they're already doing 4 daily papers there. Austin and Atlanta were called too expensive several times.
  11. ondeadline

ondeadline Active Member

Even in that situation, very few made that move.
  12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

OK, so I'm slightly confused.

Atlanta copy desk is gone. But Palm Beach people will still be part of the Palm Beach-based copy desk?

They're then going to split what? Papers that each desk works on? Sections? Anybody know?
Draft saved Draft deleted