1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atlanta courthouse killer avoids death penalty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Dec 12, 2008.

1. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Georgia w/o Atlanta = Belize

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Phew. The Fulton County DA says he'll talk to federal prosecutors about pursuing the federal death penalty. I guess if he's not wasting his own taxpayers' money, he'll waste everyone's now!

And, yeah, Fenian, it was Fulton County, where something like 2 of the past 10 death-penalty cases have resulted in a death sentence.

3. KG

KG Active Member

I'm OK with him not getting the death penalty. He originally went on this rampage, because he didn't want to be locked up. It's been a while, and my memory is foggy because of the murders, but I believe the original reason he was in court was because he raped his ex-girlfriend, who broke up with him for cheating on him.

That is a terrible crime in itself, that unfortunately would not have gotten him much time served. Now, instead of probably just a few years, he will spend the rest of his life in prison. And instead of being just a regular prisoner on one of the tougher cell blocks, he'll be lucky to see more than a few minutes of daylight each day.

My dad is a senior guardsman (not sure of actual title) at a state prison. It scares me to think of him facing people like Nichols every day.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What kind of punishment did the idiot bailiff who let him get loose get?

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

She was beaten within an inch of her life and has lasting brain damage.

6. KG

KG Active Member

Not sure about punishment (doubt there was any), but it was a short, 51 year old woman. Nichols beat the hell out of her, breaking multiple bones and doing significant brain damage.

Edit: deskslave was faster

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Actually, given that the state's Congressional delegation is split 7-6 to the GOP, I'd say those are some pretty big pockets, Barry, even if some of them are in Atlanta.

And the law doesn't require that he be sentenced to death. It merely allows it.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Is it asking too much of the dipshit to do the time for his original crime, and resist the uirge to kill three people? I mean, life is as complicated as you make it.

9. Barry is yelling "stupid corrupt black people!" here and hoping the right people notice.

10. KG

KG Active Member

Exactly. I mean he couldn't have possibly thought he could beat, rape and hold hostage his ex-girlfriend and not have any penalties to face. He was on a vengeful mission to start with. He could have just changed his clothes when he was released from handcuffs like he was supposed to and just bolted after that. Instead, he decided to nearly beat the guard to death, then go out of his way to track down the judge to kill him. If he simply wanted to escape, he could have done so without killing or maiming anyone.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Although he's getting life without parole, does anybody think he'll be released from prison eventually?

12. KG

KG Active Member

Not a chance. He'll find a way to hang himself or something anyway. I just hope he doesn't try the swallow a razor blade method. It pretty much never works (several have tried it where my dad works) and it just costs the tax payers even more in medical bills.

Draft saved Draft deleted