1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atlanta-area teachers work slavery into math problems

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl, Jan 7, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Teach to the test.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Norcross is a great suburb. The situation at Beaver Ridge is more damning on the teachers and administrators. I do question whether the school board knew anything about what was going on. There's no doubt some sensitivity training is in order.
    Sad that this is happening in 2012.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

I was told there would be no math.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If one slave ship leaving Africa at 9:30 is going 25 mph, and one ship leaving Charleston at 11:15 to get more slaves is going 17 mph, when would they cross paths?

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'm not saying that this is the case but in my former confederate state and others, including Georgia, have had efforts to incorporate civil war history since the school year was the 150 anniversary of it's start.

That's not an excuse but it sounds like from reading the story that school was mixing up aspects of civics with math.

So if one class was learning about slavery, it would be reinforced in another, unrelated, class.

If that was the case would people still be outraged?

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

According to the story, that IS the case.

But it still doesn't make those questions appropriate.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Have you covered the average school board? It's a miracle if they know most of their schools' names.

8. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Someone's watched Season 4 of The Wire.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I get the idea of reinforcing one classes lessons by incorporating them into another class. Slavery is not a topic we can simply ignore in history, but it would seem that it might be more effectively and sensitively cross-lessoned in language classes. I'm struggling to come up with any math application of lessons about slavery that wouldn't be insensitive.

The first question would have easily worked using "workers" instead of "slaves." The second question promotes violence. I hope there was no kid named Frederick in that class.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[/quote]

The 14 wouldn't be enough if Frederick were a Missouri fan.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's not counting the beatings Frederick got from Gannett for being forced to work 70 hours a week and only get paid for 40 [old cross-thread].

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

His parents should have never named him Frederick. With a name like that, he's bound to get a beating or two a day at school.

Draft saved Draft deleted