1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atlanta airport

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Agreed. Now the OLD Detroit airport...that, my friends, was B-A-D...all except for the Marriott that had its own gate into the terminal. I saved many an extra hour sleeping until the last possible minute thanks to that baby.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Really? Haven't been there often, but I find it so odd. First of all, airports in the middle of nowhere freak me out. Denver, in general, is a weird city for someone from the East Coast. Then to get to the airport, you feel like you have to leave civilization and drive through the Gobi desert. At night, it almost feels like you should approach in one of those lunar buggies from the Apollo space missions--in part because of how isolated it is and in part because of the airport's UFO design. It looks like a giant sprawling tent that aliens might inhabit, and it encompasses an area the size of the grand canyon. It's too isolated, weird and spread out for my tastes. I prefer airports that sit in the city and are compact, even if they are dumps.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't mind DIA if I'm connecting, but as a final destination, it's a pretty major pain in the ass. It doesn't help that it's located halfway to Kansas...

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I've flown through Pittsburgh twice, and everything seemed rather compact -- to me, compact (not sprawled out) is good.

Logan can be a clusterf**k, but that's Boston you're dealing with.

Places that do suck: Detroit Metro (just because), Newark and Cleveland.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The old terminal was rsated "third-world" by some travel magazine... I wouldnt have rated it that high

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I was going to give love to the new Detroit airport. I think it has a Westin in it now.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Did they open a new terminal or redo the whole thing?

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't know, because I never flew into the old one. I'll leave that for others who would know.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Atlanta wasn't too bad when I connected there to go to Disney World about 12 years ago. Maybe it has changed a lot since then. Thinking about the place again, I connected there going to a race with the cross country team. It wasn't that bad two years ago. Maybe it was easy enough for us because we just hopped on the train thingy and went right to our terminal.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Northwest Terminal at Detriot is the nicest terminal I have ever been inside. Christ, they have a 10 foot high def TV in it.

JetBlue is my #1 airline bar none.

I also like any airport that give free wi-fi. I almost always travel with a laptop because of this.

Atlanta blows. Pay for wi-fi and crappy food.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

If you schedule connecting flights within 45 minutes of each other or less;

and you check your bags;

I would estimate the chances that you arrive at your destination, but your luggage doesn't goes up fifteen fold.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know Jet Blue has had some high profile problems, but every time I've flown them it's been top notch... If I could fly them all the time, I would...

Draft saved Draft deleted