1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atkins

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by budcrew08, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Here is one story...

BBC

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Frank, That JAMA article said a lot. It said they found 94 fad diets calling themselves low-carb diets. They are all different. They haven't be evaluated scientifically. That is *all* it said. That is cherry-picking something and making conclusions that have nothing to do with what I had said. In essence that article said that these fads are too new, so we don't know how badly people are fucking themselves up yet. More study, with good sample sizes, and enough time, would be needed for that.

I just quoted myself above. I don't have to google and find you "credible sources" because what I posted and now quoted is as simple as if I said, "smoking is bad for you. It increases your risk of stroke, heart disease and lung cancer." And if you came on here calling me Dr. Yadda yadda because I said it, it wouldn't make me any less right.

I'll stand by ANYTHING I have posted on this thread as being good nutritional advice based on what we have learned about food and the human body. "Carbs" (and most people don't understand the difference between simple carbs and branched complex carbohydrates) are a very necessary part of your diet and in a HEALTHY, NORMAL diet, should compose the bulk of what you eat. The dietary fiber whole grains and vegetables provide is not easily digestible and it is good for your heart and digestive systems. The types of food I am talking about are filled with nutrients that are GOOD for you. This is not an argument. And calling me an intellectual sloth when I state things I don't have to google and pull up medical journal articles that tangentially address nutrition is stupid. They are good foods and if they were what people actually ate -- instead of high-fat, simple sugar, bleached flour, etc. crap, we wouldn't be seeing a diabetes epidemic in this country.

Fatty diets are bad for you. To the extent that people go on Atkins and start eating artery-clogging food at the exclusion of complex carbs, it is BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH. I won't find you a medical journal article that says this. It's inarguable. It is a recipe for a triple bi-pass.

Your body needs protein to replenish itself. Protein is a very significant dietary component. But TOO MUCH protein is bad for you. It strains your body. Again, I don't need to hit google to say this with certainty. It's just factual. A normal, healthy diet finds sources of protein that are not also laden with fat and cholesterol. In my case, it's a lot of beans, legumes, raw almonds and a lot of the other foods I eat which are minor sources of protein.

You turned the argument into something that had nothing to do with anything I have posted. I don't know what your motivation was, but my posts on here have not been opinion or speculation or pseudo science. It is as solid nutritional advice as anyone who has an inkling can give you.

I'll simply refer you to my post that I quoted above that inspired you to call me Dr. Yadda Yadda. And I will stand by EVERY single thing I posted in it. You've gone off on a bunch of tangents here, but tell me what I posted that is not sound? If people ate that way, we wouldn't have obesity, diabetes and heart disease epidemics in this country. And our health care system wouldn't be so overtaxed by the bad lifestyle habits of people.

Jeez.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

In case you were looking for some medical document...

Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Ragu, I think you are obviously insane if you want to dispute that a medical study said there was no conclusive evidence either way when we all know that no medical researcher, ever, takes on such a project lacking a desire to offer definitive proof, if for no other reasons than professional pride and status, not to mention further grant money. And I mean insane in the clinical sense. I'm not going to argue further with someone who writes thousand-words rants without even once researching it. This is not the only thread where you've done this. Get some help.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

The study I link to is independent. The folks you link to are dedicated to stopping carnivorism and take money from PETA. So I don't think they're objective:

http://www.activistcash.com/organization_overview.cfm/oid/23

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

However, nothing in it was false. They didn't argue that protein wasn't necessary. They argued the fat content. They argued the health factors. They used specific pages of the Atkins diet, something your independent study didn't do at all.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

How on earth could you possibly make an assertion like that? Seriously, did you have a team of medical experts fact-check the entire thing in the past half-hour?

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

From the link...
    I get where you are going with the group, but to argue that the very basis of all nutritional knowledge is wrong and that people can bend the rules is just false. They are using nothing more than the simple checks and balances that is what is required for daily intake.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Again, my original point was that the issue is not "settled." It isn't. I think I've proved that point beyond all doubt. I did not argue that experts say Atkins is the best diet. I said the debate continues. Given the links I provided, I don't think anyone could rationally and honestly argue that it's "settled" even among the most informed parts of the medical community.

Interesting, too, that your report's last citation is my report. But I think your folks spun it to their agenda.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I refer you all to Gina Kolata's "Rethinking Thin".

From Publishers Weekly

11. Frank_Ridgeway

It's really very simple for me. I don't want to replace my clothing, and when I wear existing clothing, I don't want to look like a sausage about to burst its casing on a hot grill.

12. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I don't know if I want to try this diet anymore. Seems like there's a lot more bad then good when it comes to results and side effects.

I also like pasta and breads, and don't want to just eat bologna or turkey as opposed to a regular sandwich.

Draft saved Draft deleted