1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atkins

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by budcrew08, Jul 1, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It's ironic. My dad is a retired RN and he supported the diet heavily when it was all the rage. I thought it was the work of a quack from Day 1.

I'm very anti-Atkins Diet. Remember that Atkins himself died prematurely.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Seriously, talk to any personal trainer anywhere in the world.

Your body needs carbs. Your body needs fat. Your body needs protein. If you don't get the necessary amount you are doing harm to your body.

It is better to drop the weight slowly because there is an increase that it will stay off. On average, anything more than 3lbs per week is too much.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Atkins. Died. Obese.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

True story: During my road trip, I took a couple people to Wrigley Field for pictures and such. Just across the street is the Cubby Bear, a fairly well-known watering hole for dirty Cubs fans. Anyhoo, I say, "Hey, you have to go drink an Old Style at the Cubby Bear while you're in Chicago." Unfortunately, the bar was out of the beer. How does a bar known for its affiliation with the Cubs run out of the beer most synonymous with them. Weak.

EDIT: Not arguing Pastor; as I mentioned, no carbs is not healthy. I think the argument here is whether you can successfully regulate them. I prefer to just eat carbs as I wish, exercise and try to stay in relatively decent shape.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Lots of doctors smoke. What's your point? Bottom line: Go with whatever works best for you for the long term. That's not rubbish. Anything is rubbish that is not done right.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

And the argument about Atkins is that it isn't necessarily the best for anyone long term.

Protein is 4 calories per gram, Carbohydrates is 4 calories per gram and Fat is 9 calories per gram. People need about 2,000 calories per day. If 1,000 calories isn't carbs then your body isn't getting what it needs and it won't function as needed. Protein is needed to restore lost muscle and fat is required for the brain as well as the lining for the nerves.

I think it was on DiscoveryHD not long ago, but they had this great show on the human body. One of the stories about how the body reacts certain ways showed a man that was lost out at see. He would catch fish and eat it. However, fish meat only contains protein. As such, the body (well it was really the brain triggering it) started desiring other parts of the fish, such as the eyes, in order to obtain the other necessary parts of a balanced diet.

The carbohydrate intake definitely needs to be watched, but to the excess where it is less than 50% of your daily intake will leave your body starving for what it really needs.

7. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Atkins slipped on an icy sidewalk and died of a head injury. That's hardly an indictment of the diet plan.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Pastor, I've said my piece. Has worked for me and millions. If you want to rail against it, your call. Anyone who wants to know more about how to do it right can PM me.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He was also, I believe, 72 years old. Not ready to die but not terribly premature, either.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

To me, 72 is plenty premature. My grandfather died of lung cancer at 71. It's a sore subject with me.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, yeah, you should have some life left. But it wasn't like James Fixx. To say died prematurely indicates died young. Atkins did not die young.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

To say Dr. Robert Atkins died "premature" or "obese" are uninformed statements.
    It's simply not true, and the propaganda was disseminated by a vegan group and has long been dismissed.
    The diet, like any weight-loss plan, is a lifestyle alteration. If it works for you -- along with vitamin supplements -- the plan can go a long way to restoring proper weight balance to one's life.

Draft saved Draft deleted