1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atkins Diet

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, Mar 19, 2007.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The bread would be the toughest for me. I get my caffeine from Diet Coke (no coffee, not a chocolate fan), though I gave it up for Lent and that's been tough.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Like, can you really eat, say, "two poundsof bacon and three eggs for breakfast," as my friend once said?

That breakfast just looks like a heart attack waiting to happen.

Then again, I eat those Omega-3 heart-healthy eggs.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

An Atkins diet can be harmful for anyone with a history of heart disease, hypertension, etc. in their family. I lost 30 pounds quickly, but it was a contributing factor in getting put on blood pressure medicine years back. I don't follow any certain diet now, but I try to limit the amount of red meat and fatty pork I eat, although sometimes I get sick of eating chicken.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I never thought of that. I suppose I could, like I said earlier, eat the lean turkey bacon (which tastes good believe it or not) and just eat turkey, chicken and low-fat, no-fat lunch meats etc.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I don't think any diet that excludes entire food groups could be healthy, mentally or physically. The best way to make somebody want something more is tell them they can't have it.
    At the end of the day, if you burn more calories than you take in, you'll lose weight. If you don't, you won't. If all you eat is Fritos and Yodels and you burn off more calories than you take, in, you'll lose weight. You don't want to do it that way and you're more likely to overeat with junk food, but it's possible.
    I agree with 21, fruits, vegetables, unrefined carbs, lean protein, all in moderation. Think about improving your eating habits for a lifetime, not following some diet for a short period of time, then going right back to eating the way that got you fat in the first place.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Some people are more sensitive to the caffeine than others. I am very sensitive to it. If I want to drop weight fast, I can't even have iced tea.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

sosueme, that's just an excuse. you can get pre-cut vegetables in any supermarket. you also said you eat late night snacks. stop. or eat veggies. it costs a little more for the precut fruit and veggie sticks but if it's your health, it's worth the expense.

at the very least, do what i do, which is try to eat fewer simple carbs for dinner. i eat a sandwich almost every day but try to limit the simple carbs at night because as 21 posted, they metabolize slower, and therefore you don't have time to burn them off if you go to sleep three hours after eating.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, you dont do that for the life of the diet...
    You force the body to use stored fat for a couple of weeks, then slowly reintroduce carbs back to your diet. When you hit the point when the weight stops coming off, that's the limit of your carb intake...

9. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

That's the rub. When I have an extended stretch at home and have more control over the food I have around me, it's not hard to follow. But on the road? In press boxes and press tents? Good luck.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For me, it's the only diet that works... It's tough, but for those of us who can't deal with eating dry toast and grapefruit for breakfast, a salad for lunch and a piece of grilled chicken for dinner, it's a pretty good alternative.

My weight always goes up and down depending on whether I'm in the middle of the season or not... It's definitely up right now, and I'll use Atkins to lose the weight...

Draft saved Draft deleted