1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atkins Diet

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, Mar 19, 2007.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Tried it, lost about 40 pounds, kept the 40 off.

I went at it hard for about three weeks. No carbs at all, except for what was included in some sauces for flavoring. My day consisted of eggs, sausage and cheese in the morning, a grilled chicken salad at lunch, meat and salad at dinner. I'd toss back a few pork rines or beef jerky for a snack. At the end of the three weeks, I added in a few carbs per day from low-carb bread. Worst tasting bread you'll ever encounter, but after two weeks, it was like lobster tail to me. Honest to God, my knees buckled when I took the first bite. I did that for another couple of weeks and then added more carbs.

The trick to keeping it off, I believe, is to identify the two or three things you eat that cause you the most problems. For me, it was Coke, snack cakes and pasta. I drink Coke Zero now, haven't had a regular cookie in two years and eat pasta only about once a month or so. And the weight has stayed off.

The reason Atkins was good for me is because, as I mentioned on the smoking thread, my will power is for shit. I needed to see results fast to stick with a diet. I got them. After the first week, I was down almost eight pounds. After two, almost 20 was gone. It leveled off after that, but at that point I was eating a few more carbs and things didn't seem so bad.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Actually, brushing and mouthwash wouldn't help...the bad breath comes from ketosis, when your body is in crisis mode and dives into the fat stores to survive. You'd have to be following Atkins to the letter and beyond--zero carbs. South Beach followers don't have the same problem, for example, because South Beach allows more carbs via fruit and vegetables.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Have lost a significant amount of weight and have kept it off for about nine months on Atkins. It's an easy diet if you like red meat, salads, turkey, non-sugared ham, eggs, and fruits like strawberries and blueberries. But you do have to do some exercise. And breads are tough to resist. Chocolate products with Splenda, in moderation, are a big help. And there are low-carb breads, pitas and tortillas out there. Again, in moderation.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Wow. I have to say, the responses on here have shocked me. Quite the testimonials.

My friend said he lost 30 pounds in a month. I didn't believe him. He also said he's lost 50 pounds, which I believe. We only see each other once a year (NCAA Tourney, Week 1) because we live so far away. But he's definitely 50 pounds lighter than last time I saw him.

The thing is this: I don't need/crave bread - I can do that. I love all the meat mentioned - so I'm looking forward to that.

My problems are chips and pop. And midnight snacks after work.

However, if I can bring some of that food to work, I'll be okay.

Man, you all have impressed me on this thread.

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I'll second South Beach - I lost 20 pounds doing SBD, found a consistent workout routine and maintained quite a few of the eating habits from it - staying away from sodas, junk food, white breads, starches, sugary foods. On a side note - I found after I swore off sodas and treats (cookies, candy, etc.) when I tried to drink a regular soda again, it was WAY too sweet for me.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Tostitos was making a low-carb tortilla chip that was really pretty good. However, they stopped making it. For a while there, I had a routine of melted cheese and chili without beans on those chips.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Oh, my other problem: I HATE the time it takes to clean vegetables, cook things, prep food etc.

In the kitchen is where I am laziest. Actually, it's pretty much the only place where I'm lazy.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

It's not just the bread, it's whatever happens to be the main source of your carbs. For most, it's bread. Don't believe for a second, though, that if you're not a big bread eater the first few weeks will be easier on you. They won't. I never in my life imagined I'd crave a particular food as badly as I did.

It's tough. And the only thing that makes it easier to take is watching the weight come off in significant chunks.

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Did a modified Atkins diet (only 45 grams of real carbs a day), 16 oz of meat (only lean ground beef, turkey, chicken, etc.) and no more than an ounce of cheese. I dropped from 395 down to 225 in less than a year. After switching to the Weight Watchers diet, I've been able to keep my weight between 225-240 in the five years since.

I wrote a column about it, and my sister's weight loss, a few years ago. Here's a link of the story from a message board -- our newspaper doesn't have it online anymore
    http://www.theweighwewere.com/forums/f39/regaining-self-respect-young-womans-journey-diet-exercise-provides-inspiration-1963/

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

wow.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Deal withthe pop by drinking things with Splenda and stay away from caffeine for the first couple of weeks.
    I never cut carbs out completely, but down. So if I treated myself to a small handful of chips with a ham rollup, I did.I knew I couldnt cut them out, but if I had 30-50 grams a day, insead of my hundreds, it was good.

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

How does caffeine fuck up the low carb thing? I accumulated a small gut over the winter, and was thinking of going low-carb to lose mi panchocito. I can handle low carbs, but no caffiene is a daunting prospect!

Draft saved Draft deleted