1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletic departments help save writer's life

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, May 2, 2013.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Incredible story about former Denver Post sportswriter Natalie Meisler. She was talking with an official at the University of Wyoming when he noticed she might be suffering a stroke. He and others worked with the Colorado State athletic department to try to get someone to her home in Boulder.

She's still in the hospital but it appears she'll be fine.

And it's a little more crazy connection for me. Natalie used to be a neighbor of my sister's. And the writer of the piece, I've known since the late 1990s working at a newspaper in SoCal.

Anyway, a pretty good read.

http://yhoo.it/1339OLy

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That is a great story. Excellent work.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

No media/media relations separation there...and a good thing for Meisler there wasn't.

It's funny, wonderful, and again, fortunate, that real life can break that down, in an instant.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

She obviously can't cover the school again because it would be a conflict of interest. (/crossthread)

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I guess all the CU guys were having lunch at Big City Burrito.

6. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Got a good chuckle out of that comment. And then I started thinking, well ... there might be a smidgen of validity in it. It's much too soon for this to even be a real-life consideration, at least as far as her particular situation goes, but it's a good mental exercise for the rest of us.

Say I'm the beat writer for a major college or a big-league team. I have a traumatic medical emergency, and someone on the team saves my life. Could I objectively cover that institution ever again? Even if I believed I could, would readers trust me?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Readers don't want objectivity.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's a post straight out of a journalism school's ethics class, completely without validity in real-world application.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

See also: Simers, T.J.

10. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I agree. Great story all the way around.

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I worked with Natalie a lot when I was in college. Always liked her. Despite the grief she'd get sometimes, she was very helpful to me, opening doors to internships and even a freelance gig I did for Versus. Glad to know she'll be OK.

Covering CSU, I work with Tim a fair amount up in Laramie and he's a good dude; this just goes to show that.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Natalie, of course, was very lucky. Kudos to Tim for recognizing what was going on -- and acting on it. As he said, it would have been easy to chalk it up to other things.

Draft saved Draft deleted