1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletic, Axios talking merger?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Mar 26, 2021.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Do what I did and jump on one of the $1/month deals and cancel before it renews. Another ONE TIME ONLY deal is surely around the bend. In addition to saving some money you get to screw the little guy and ensure some journalists lose their jobs. #Felter

wicked and Sports Barf like this.
  2. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

A good reminder to check and see when my $1 per month deal ends.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I got that for six months!

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I got it for 12 months last December! One month to go before I outsmart the tech bros again!

PaperClip529 and Songbird like this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Signed up in May or June. I think I’ve read an average of three stories a month. That’s not to dismiss their work. It just hasn’t cracked through into my regular rotation of sports/news surfing.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding like a corporate apologist, aren't they pretty upfront that you get bumped up to the standard annual rate after any promo period ends?

My other question: Has anyone here actually read the story from The Information or are we all just spitting takes from two paragraphs? (I haven't read it. I'm genuinely asking.)

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Really supporting a dying industry.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Yes, you're right. But who remembers when they start something and when it might change? I believe you should be notified that your rate is going up on such and such date. And that your credit card is going to be charged on such and such a date. It can be programmed into their computer system. They never did it. I was gonna try to screw with them and negotiate a lesser rate, but higher than $30. "I'll pay $40 a year or see you later." Never had the opportunity. You can't negotiate with a computer-generated email. I do like the writers who cover the teams I follow and I do have friends on their staff. But, again, how can they justify NOT having a UCLA beat writer?

As for The Information, never heard of it. The other day, I asked if anybody had ever seen Bitchute. No responses, so I guess not.

SixToe and Matt Stephens like this.
  9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

@ChrisLong That’s fair. I hear what you’re saying.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Unfortunately The Information does not offer a teaser rate. They want something like $33 a month billed for a year up front. So, no I have not read the entire article.

11. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Sounds like they are freezing their freelance budget through the end of 2021. There's one way to cut costs.....

12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I've watched a lot of pirated old NFL games on Bitchute. It's become a fallout shelter of sorts.

Draft saved Draft deleted