1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletes who lose their luster after they retire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Oct 30, 2008.

1. You take that back. You take that back right now.

Dude makes a Dr. Pepper commercial and the hounds are released.

Seriously,
    I'd argue most of these guys were a mess before they retired they just had a better support system.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

My mistake on Tyson. Missed him somehow.

Also The question I thought the topic was Athletes who lose their lustre after they retire. There are varrying degrees of this. maybe Carter was a bit of a stretch. The other's it depends on some degree your opinion of them during their playing days, but their reputations have taken a hit since retiring.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He was my favorite athlete not wearing black or gold growing up, and the daughter who plays tennis stung me a little.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I always thought Elvis Peacock was one of the greatest sports names ever, right up there with I.M. Hipp.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Probably more true than we think

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Tyson's life fell apart before he retired.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is easy...

All of them...

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Gary Carter
    Joe Morgan

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Gretzky? Are you kidding me? He is still a national icon in Canada. How about the gold medal he won. For the luster to come off of Gretzky he'd have to do a hell of a lot worse than coach a shitty team in Phoenix

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

J.R. Richard

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only exceptions are guys like Jordan, who are too legendary to go away and guys who go into TV or coaching where they remain in the spotlight.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

OK, maybe I'm wrong, but didn't Emmitt Smith WIN on Dancing with the Stars?

ESPN and the commercials, I'll give you.

And while Irvin was bounced from ESPN (or whichever network he was working for), he is absolutely revered in DFW. His local radio show is apparently a hit, and he regularly gets newsworthy guests, mostly because they know he'll lob them softballs. Still, the Josh Howard pot-smoking stuff and some good Pacman stuff came from his show.

That said, I despise the guy. I think he's horrible on TV and worse on the radio, and his holy-hallelujah stuff with his track record, not to mention the fact he's an apologist for all sorts of unsavory characters, bothers me no end.

Draft saved Draft deleted