1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletes who have had rules changed or made based on them...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FootballScribe, Sep 4, 2009.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Sean Avery

Deion Sanders

2. I'm backing Stoney on this one. I was at ACC game and remember it well -- North Carolina won 47-45 and it was excruciating. The next season, the ACC had a 30-second shot clock and a 3-point line so short it was inside the top of the key, allowing freshman Mark Price to beat Michael Jordan for the ACC scoring title.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Maurice Clarett challenged the NFL draft rules in 2004 and won only to get smacked down by the so-called liberal ::) Sonia Sotomayor on appeal.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

::)

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Both Larry Bird (NBA) and David Beckham (MLS) have salary cap rules named after them.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Lacrosse players must keep their sticks in motion while carrying the ball. No cradling to the chest.

Jim Brown - yes, that Jim Brown

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Paul Orndorff's use of the piledriver helped lead to it being banned.

When the zone went in the NBA, it was sort of talked about that it was because Shaq was too dominant, though I don't think that was really the case (his dominance was real; don't really think the zone was some attempt to stop him).

Not an athlete, but I'm waiting for the day when the Shanahan field goal timeout ploy is banned and we can name it after him.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Lester Hayes and stickum

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Why would a timeout before the play be banned?

As long as it is, in fact, before the play and not during the snap.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Anytime Jim Brown comes up you always seem to point this out as if you're not on a sports journalist message board where everyone already knows that Jim Brown was a stud lacrosse player.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

93 would just like to remind you that Jim Brown did in fact attend college. ;)

12. How about Andy Messersmith? He brought about free agency.

Draft saved Draft deleted