1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletes who did not speak to the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, but Parcells would fill up the notebooks, which is more than I can say about Belichick.

My dealings with Saban are pretty limited, so I'm not sure where he would fall between those two.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Saban will answer any question about anything, though he'll often do so in a condescending fashion. If you can stand a 30-second lecture about why you shouldn't have asked that question, he'll give you a great answer.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was on a conference call once when he hung up when someone asked about injuries.

4. mrbio

mrbio Member

Think you're right, it's been a long time since I last interviewed Curtis Pride, back in the mid to late 90s. Despite this he was still an excellent interview.

5. Golazo21

Golazo21 Member

I once overheard a pro player in my neck of the woods advising a few of his teammates to "unleash the cliches" when speaking to the media. At first, I thought it was one of those classic "Bull Durham" moments - the vet teaching the young guys about cliches. Then, when I actually interviewed him, he literally spouted cliche after cliche, even if they weren't appropriate. Like this:

Me: What kind of preparations is the team taking with a fierce opponent in town this weekend?
    Cliche man: We're going to take it one game at a time, you know. That's all we can do...

Me: Player X is someone who seems to give a lot of defenses fits. What do you think is the best way to neutralize him?
    Cliche man: All I can do is play the best I can. I can only control what I can control, and let the chips fall where they may.

After awhile, it became obvious that he was doing this just to be a dick. And he was a dick. He'd constantly rip his teammates in practice and in the locker room after a game. Thankfully, none of his teammates listened to his schtick about cliches, and he was promptly traded a year later. He was a good player, just a terrible personality. The quintessential talented jerk in every respect.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You think he's right?

If Curtis Pride is known for anything, it's for being hearing impaired. (OK, he was really fast too.)

And, Moddy's known him since high school.

And, you're going to conditionally agree with him on this point?

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, boy. I remember touching off World War III at this site when I casually said to Double Down, a couple of years ago, that, "I think you're probably right" regarding some arcane criminal law matter. It was just throwaway vernacular, and what I really meant was, "You ARE right." But the effect was akin to a nuclear bomb going off.

I see this as my karmic opportunity, and I'm going to give Mr. Bio the benefit of the doubt here.

8. mrbio

mrbio Member

I think you're probably right on the exact terminology of the precise handicap but will only concede he's 100% right with a doctor's confirmation.

Here we go again, Yankee fan loves to stick it to me, don't ya,

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

And you haven't been around much, so I was pent up.

10. mrbio

mrbio Member

You gonna read my new book YF? It's getting good reviews in the tennis world. "Marcelo Rios: The Man We Barely Knew."

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Curtis Pride was a decent player on some very bad William and Mary basketball teams. He was the only person of color on one of them, causing one writer to use the line, "Curtis and the Caucasians," when writing about the Tribe.

His basketball coach did not like him playing baseball.

"My point guard," he said once, "is not going to get a lot better when he's off hitting .136 in rookie ball."

I think history shows Mr. Pride made the right choice in playing baseball.

12. vivbernstein

vivbernstein Member

Greg Lloyd is the only athlete I have ever covered who looked at me like he wanted to kill me. Not for anything I said or wrote. Just because.

Draft saved Draft deleted