1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletes thoughts on fans use of "us"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Sep 3, 2013.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Has a story like this ever been done? It's hard to google for it. Anyone have an examples?
    Is it even a story worth pursuing since most current athletes would just toe the company line that "all fans are important" and BS as such.
    Unless it's my alma mater (and even then, it's rare for me to say it) I only say "them" or "they". But there are threads about that subject on this board...I'm curious if it's ever been put into print.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What's the news peg? Is there anything to elevate this beyond a simple questionnaire answer?

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I wouldn't really see the news value in it, unless your shop does little things like this regularly. I've seen a shop do an "Inside the Athlete's Head" (I think that's what they called it) segment each week and picked about 5-6 area athletes to answer a specific question...normally along the lines of what is your typical pregame routine?, etc... it could work in a segment like that. But otherwise, I think it's a waste.

And yes, most athletes would just feed basic lines.

4. spikechiquet

That's what I thought as well. I agree in the lack of news value, maybe a blog posting at best.
    This stems from a facebook post last night where a friend of mine was using "we" and I gave him crap about it and he blew a gasket. I knew it would piss him off more so I went into the "they don't care about you, they just want your money," mantra just to poke the bear...and it was fun. It would be nice if a story was done like this just to point to morons that, yes, your team doesn't really like you, they just like your wallet.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

How many athletes are going to say on the record, "Fans are a fucking bunch of spazzed out dorks who would shit their pants if they ever had to stand in the batters box or line up opposite a 300-pound felon. Fuck them, unless they're lining up to buy autographs or making their wives and daughters available for a hummer."

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Athletes call out fans who boo or leave early or don't show up. But that's driven by emotional context. You have none for this story.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Johnny Manziel. [/crossthread]

8. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Jeff Kent. But he's no longer relevant.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

One particular media outlet loved to use the terms "We" and "us" when referring to the local professional sports teams. Not being from said city, I thought that was amateurish.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

In conversation, "we" sounds natural when referring to your own team. Some people invest so much in teams that teams practically feel like family. (You wouldn't talk about your family and refer to them by their surnames, bc that'd be weird.)

I get why people sometimes take issue with the "we" or "us" but it's just a difference in level of fandom. Pretty harmless stuff.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This.

12. spikechiquet

Just to argue your point for the hell of it: So I am less of a fan if I don't use we? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted