1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletes marrying celebrities

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gehrig, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I was hesitant to post this thread, but at the end I decided to do it.

What's your general perception of athletes who use sports as a climb to fame? For example, Lamar Odom marrying Khloe Kardashian.

I'm talking about athletes (who aren't necessarily great in their sport) who have turned themselves into complete celebrities

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure what you're getting at. Don't all pro athletes seek fame? Isn't that why every pro league has a Hall of Fame?

Is this about athletes using sports as a climb to fame, or athletes using relationships as a means to fame? The thread title doesn't seem consistent with the OP.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Re-reading your OP and thinking about this further, I think Odom is a poor example of what you're trying to get at.

If anything, Khloe (and, yes, her family) were probably the best thing to happen to Odom and not for financial or celebrity reasons. Having known the guy a (very) little bit off the court a long time ago, I don't get the impression he saw her as a way to become more famous.

Odom is a guy who has always sought family structure and love, and it seems like he found that with Khloe and her family. I understand any cynicism toward anything and everything the Kardashians are involved in, but I don't think it's fair to frame Odom's relationship with Khloe as a publicity stunt.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to figure out Dan Pastorini and June Wilkinson.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Who can forget Terry Bradshaw and Jo Jo Starbuck?

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Terry Bradshaw was actually the only reason I had ever heard of Jo Jo Starbuck.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Gehrig, I knew you'd been thinking about this, and I've been trying to figure out how I feel about it in order to give you a decent response.

I know it's been going on for a while. Joe DiMaggio married Marilyn Monroe, though all signs are he truly and deeply loved her.

Some of them use it to climb to fame, I suppose. But I think that they probably see themselves as kindred spirits who face some of the same difficulties and challenges, from fame to constant travel to the relentless need to take care of their physiques.

Not that I spend my time judging other people's partnerships, but I have a more cynical outlook on the athletes who marry their groupies. And it happens all the time. A startling amount of time, the Barbie dolls you see them parading around with are former gold-diggers hanging outside the stadium gates or hotel stalking. The Kardashians excepted, at least a lot of the athletes and singers have a public talent. I can see why they relate.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd guess Kris Humphries is a way better example than Odom of what Gehrig meant to illustrate.

9. Dick Whitman

That's who I thought of, as well. Except after last season, I don't think about Humphries much any more.

On Christmas Day, my cousin - a dude - walked into the room and announced that, "Everyone was booing Kris! It was awesome!"

I had no idea who in the fuck Chris was until he explained it to me. I don't know that my cousin ever watched an NBA game before that.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Humphries is a great example...

I think it's funny when I see Nnamdi Asomugha on the red carpet because he's married to Kerry Washington. He used to be a bigger star than Humphries.

Where it's most interesting is when the athlete is clearly the less famous of the duo. It's sad that Kim Kardashian's ugly older sister is more famous than Lamar Odom, but the reality is that she is...

Kerry Washington is more famous than Asomugha.

There's Cutler and the girl from the Hills...

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Maybe that's why the Brady-Bundchen marriage appears to be a success to date. Each is equally famous in their own very separate worlds.

12. Dick Whitman

They say her first and last name every time they mention her on broadcasts and talk radio. Like anybody should give a fuck.

Draft saved Draft deleted