1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athlete-Reporter fights

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Giants beat reporter for The Journal News Ernie Paladino getting choked by LT for telling him to "fuck off."
    Tremendous. Made LT's book..

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Incredibly lazy piece... I've seen 10 altercations better than that...

The difference is, a lot of these don;t get reported because some of us don't aspire to be the story...

3. boots

boots New Member

To set the record straight on that fateful day, Ernie got his nerve up from listening to other ass wipe scribes. The whole incident should not have happened.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I don't believe there were punches thrown or anything, but Jeff George got his nose out of joint from a column Miller wrote about "Freddy Phenom," his way of getting around libel and defamation laws to portray George as a pansy-ass mama's boy. Which wasn't hard to do, given the infamous photo of his mom on the injury cart with him while he was at Purdue.

Talk about being hated in your hometown -- I remember seeing some unofficial TV "poll" of whether the Colts made the right decision in getting George. It was something like 94-6 against.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

If they don't get reported and somebody like Pete hasn't heard them, you can't really characterize the list as "incredibly lazy," can you?

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I wasn't there to see it, but about 12-14 years ago, Simon Gonzalez at the Fort Worth Star-Telegram---one of the nicest, gentlest guys you will ever meet in our profession---got roughed up in the Texas Rangers locker room for something he had said or written.

The player attacking Gonzalez was.....drum roll please....none other than Kenny "Don't Take Your Love to Town" Rogers.

Big surprise, huh?

7. Mizzougrad96

Yes, this is absolutely a lazy piece of journalism...

Do you think if this guy picked up the phone and talked to a few people at SI that this would be the best he could come up with?

How can you make this list and not mention McDonough? Or Serby?

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Allan Malamud vs. Rod Carew
    Angels locker room, early 80s

Carew (one of the biggest assholes of all time) walks from the shower, past a set of reporters doing their job. They're interviewing Fred Lynn, who made a diving catch and hit a home run.

Mud was famous for big appetite, big waistline, big heart and quick wit. He was with the group of reporters.

Carew shouts unsolicited: "Hey Mud, mix in a salad!!!"

Mud without missing a breath: "Mix in an RBI."

Carew goes fucking bananas, screaming at the top for his lungs.. Just furious with players between Mud and Carew. That was the year, I think Carew had, 43-44 RBI, playing 1B everday.

9. Mizzougrad96

See, that's what I'm talking about... Great stuff...

10. Mizzougrad96

I love good banter between athletes and writers...

Early in my career, I was covering a baseball game where the team star was neck-and-neck with one or two other guys for league MVP late in the season. This player was obsessed with winning the award.

This player also couldn't resist hazing the writers. Some of his barbs were funny. A lot were not. One of the writers was pretty heavy, not real fat, but he had put on a lot of weight recently and was sensitive about it.

Player: What are the chances your wife dumps you for someone who isn't such a fat fuck?
    Reporter: I don't know. What are the chances of you getting my MVP vote?

The player got in the writer's face and looked like he was ready to belt him before one of the coaches pulled the player away...

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Hey, Mizzou, you shouldn't be spouting off about laziness if you're not making even a half-assed effort to actually read the entire thread.

Actually, never mind, I'll save you the precious time by posting this one pertinent bit:

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Totally classless. Still one of the reason I can't stand Sanders. I remember he was angry with McCarver for suggesting that Sanders really wasn't fulfilling his with the Braves because he was playing in the NFL as well. Can't say he was wrong. Sanders was hurting his level of play in baseball by not committing to the sport full time.

But wasn't this after the Braves Game 7 NLCS victory over the Pirates in '92? Three-run comeback to win it in the ninth after being shut out through eight. Great, dramatic victory for his team to put them in the World Series and all that jackass cared about was getting back at a broadcaster for saying something unflattering.

Draft saved Draft deleted