1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athlete-Reporter fights

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Still, though, that's an interesting penis-shaped dueling scar you have there.

2. I'd love to find the tape or video of the time Geno Auriemma bashed that student reporter after UConn's 77 (or something like that)-game Big East winning streak was snapped. That was priceless. I think it went something like, "You ask a lot of dumb question..."

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Thanks for stopping by, Pete!

(I've always wanted to do that.)

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

Dave Kingman sent a rat in a box to a female reporter. Just about what you would expect from a gutless creep who would hit three home runs in easy games but couldn't hit worth a damn in the clutch.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

richard todd stuffing steve serby into a locker in '81 or '82 remains the standard. led to a classic ny post back page, with serby holding his forehead with a bandage across his nose. 8) 8) 8)

6. Maple Sugar

Maple Sugar Member

McEntegart should really stick to his expertise -- early 90s hip hop.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I was once held upside down over a trash can in the locker room by an NFL linebacker.

8. How long did it take you to pound the beer?

9. Babs

Babs Member

I got into a small tiff with an athlete I was covering once. He got defensive and went on the offensive. I probably shouldn't have worded my question like an accusation. We both felt bad about it, and it actually brought us a lot closer. He really opened up later and I got quotes of gold. So it was all good.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Hal McRae, while a manager, going apeshit and hitting Alan Eskew with an ash tray was a great moment. Legend has it Eskew showed up the next day wearing a catcher's mask.

IIRC, it was a pool interview and Eskew's question wasn't even the one that set him off. McRae goes on a tirade, throws shit all over his office (Eskew was at the wrong place at the wrong time), kicked everyone out of his office, said about 800 cuss words then screamed "put that in your fucking pipe and smoke it!"

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'd answer, but because I am unfamiliar with that euphemism, I have no idea what you're asking.

12. What's it called, shotgunning? Is that right?
    It's a frat-boy thing ... two guys hold a third upside down while the fella pounds beer straight from the keg.
    Sorry, mine was a lame attempt at humor, especially since I've never actually partaken of that which I joked about. I was a beer-drinking wuss.

Draft saved Draft deleted