1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athlete of the Decade: Who ya got?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

From hockey Nicklas Lidstrom and Martin Brodeur should at least be in the discussion.

Lidstrom's won 6 norris trophies, a conn smyth as playoff MVP and two stanley Cups this decade, four in his career. Plus won gold at the 2006 winter Olympics.

This decade Brodeur has won four Vezina's and two Jenning's trophies (lowest GAA in league) --four jennings in his career -- and two stanley Cups, three in his career. In the process he has also rewritten the record book for goalies. This decade has also won gold at the olympics in 2002 - ending a 50 year drought for Canada -- and then backstopped Canada to gold at the World Cup.

Apparently AP doesn`t consider hockey players athletes of the same calibre as drivers of cars, long distance runners, and female golfers and basketball players.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

is it just me or is Lidstrom underrated/underhyped. it seemed like when Borque was playing there was so much talk about him, maybe because he never won with the B's. maybe also because Yzerman was always the face of the Red Wings, but it just seems like Lidstrom is one of the all time greats, maybe i'm just used to anyone good being overhyped.

back to the athlete of the decade, does anyone know what fastest woman means?

Pamela Reed, Distance running, outright winner of Badwater Ultramarathon in 2002-03; fastest woman in 2005.

because if she beat everyone in the 100 meters and won an ultramarathon she probably is athlete of the century.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You would be correct about Lidstrom. The way he plays is so cerebral that you just take him for granted.

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

One slight digression re Lidstrom.

I took him to dinner in my neighbourhood in hockey-mad Toronto. We walked a mile down a busy street (Danforth for those who know), passed open patios of sports bars ... and not a soul recognized him. We walked by the Detroit Grill (the owner is a Wings fan) and he didn't get stopped

The most nondescript great athlete of his generation and a very nice guy. It was just a social thing (not business for me) but he snuck out and paid the table for our table and a table of strangers next to us who made small talk with us -- and didn't recognize him either.

o-<

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Piss-poor work by AP not listing any hockey players at all.

6. snuffy2

snuffy2 Member

Thanks for including Bolt in this list of dipshit media laughables. Add Mayweather. Add Rulon Gardner. Add Meseret Defar. Add U.S. journalist winning the ultra parochial marathonic twittering stupidity trophy.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Exactly my thought when I looked at it. That list has two WNBA players, four soccer players, three golfers, but only one football player. What the fuck?

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I would vote for Lance Armstrong as Asshole of the Decade, but that's about it.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You can't worry about the 2019 selection while you're making your 2009 pick. If Tiger Woods is the best athlete of 2000-2009, it doesn't matter what he does from 2010-2019. If he repeats, he repeats.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Woods... by the length of one of his drives over Pujols

11. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

But it's for athletes, not people who drive cars.

Edit: I see several others made the same comment. Good to see.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

1. Woods
    2. Federer
    3. Armstrong
    4. Phelps
    5. Bonds

(I also think, to be considered athlete of the decade, casual fans should have at least heard of you for more than half of those 10 years. That's why Phelps > Bolt.)

Draft saved Draft deleted