1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athlete of the Decade: Who ya got?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

D'oh! Read right past his name. Sorry.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Wow, I know it's a suggested list, but no Manning and no Tomlinson? I guess championships are the biggest criteria, because I don't think Shaq should be anywhere near this list.

That being said, Tiger wins this going away.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Where is Dwayne Wade"? / Terry McDonnel

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hate to be a dick about it - but the decade doesn't end until next December.
    You'd think after the millennium BS AP would have figured this out.
    Phelps, Armstrong, Woods and Federer have done things that have never been done before - Glad I don't have to choose.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

1. Woods
    2. Armstrong
    3. Federer

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Technically, you're correct. However, rightly or wrongly, it has become customary to group "decades," in terms of the second number from the right, i.e. the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc. So in that sense, the current decade ends in seven weeks.

And my vote for Athlete of the Decade would go to Tiger.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Nice.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

"Tiger Woods, greatest golfer of this generation" strikes me as a bit of an understatement.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

He's just a golfer.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Big Ben. Tiger.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

You'll have as much luck changing that mindset as you'd have getting Christmas changed because Jesus was probably born in the spring.

12. verbalkint

verbalkint Member

Zizou also won Euro 2000 (bit of artistry, great FK vs. Spain, PK vs. Portugal), conducted Los Galacticos at Madrid (and made himself the most watchable player on the most entertaining team on earth), scored one of the greatest goals ever to win the 2002 Champs League, came back to lift an ailing France to the 2006 WC, was the best offensive player in that tournament, scored an audacious PK in the final, and nearly a header to win it in overtime, became the world's most famous athlete for a couple weeks after 'butting Materazzi, and despite that act retired as a beloved figure worldwide... okay, it's Tiger.

Draft saved Draft deleted