1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athlete nicknames sure are lame these days

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Dec 18, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Why is it that throwing the first initial of an athlete's first name together with the the first three letters of his last name (with some variations) passes for a a cool nickname these days?

A-Rod, J-Roll, C-Webb, T-Mac, D-Wade are just a few. K-Rod at least plays on his ability to get strikeouts, but it still is lame. Man-Ram? I guess that passes for real progress.

Have people lost their creativity or do I just need to lower my standards of what is a cool sounding nickname?

Signed,
    O-Dea

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am typing in bios for our back/lineman of the year awards.
    I do not want to know how Jermaine Williams got the nickname "Juicy."

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Last kid I wrote about who had a great nickname was former U of Cincinnati football player Trent Cole, now of the Eagles. "Scrap Iron" was a decent moniker.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Where have the nicknames come from in the past?

Who coined The Yankee Clipper or The Splendid Splinter?

What about The Whopper, Iceman or The Fridge?

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

You might have to blame our industry. Aren't sportswriters credited with coming up with some of those old nicknames?

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Mostly, the really great old nicknames came from us -- sportswriters -- in a time when we were more literary, more poetic... when we were pros just more apt to prose.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

What constitutes a nickname that sticks when it's from a sportswriter?

I called one catcher Wheels because I saw him hit a triple and steal a base in one game.

F-Town

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I have always loved Frank Thomas' nickname. How would you like to walk up to a beauty and say "Hi, I'm The Big Hurt."

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

josh howard is j-ho. that's just stupid.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Ugh ... in hockey, it seems to be epidemic that you take the first syllable of the athlete's last name and add a 'Y' or an 'IE.'

Gone are the days of Boom Boom, Gump, the Rocket, the Pocket Rocket, and the Roadrunner.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

We were talking about this in the office the other night, that hockey players have no creativity cause all they do is that. It's like calling me sportschicky. . . damned weak.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Haha ... when I was invited back into the sports writing industry recently, I gave it careful consideration. Then remembered what it's like to talk to a 17-year-old hockey player talk about everybody being on the same page and giving 110 per cent and figured it would be best to say 'no, thank you.'

Draft saved Draft deleted