1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athlete healthcare

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I know that colleges treat their own athletes (especially the ones that have kineaselogy departments). I was a rower in college and I hurt my shoulder and they had a rehab center right on campus where I went for all of my medical procedures. It was also the same if I got sick - the doctors of the university would see me if I had a cold or the flu or something and prescribe me medication.

I paid nothing out-of-pocket for my rehab. I would imagine most D-1 universities are the same way. Plus, most pro teams have a team of trainers that would also take care of injuries and illnesses.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Officially, Miguel Fuentes (1970), Ray Oyler (1981), George Brunet (1991), Gene Brabender (1996), Joe Schultz (1996), Steve Barber (2007).

Hey, Wayne Comer was back in Detroit for the Tigers' 40-year reunion of the '68 team. One of the Detroit papers had a photo gallery that included a team picture of the attendees. Don Wert appeared to be at least 100.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Joe's didn't do a very good job. How else to explain Steve Barber's sore arm for the entire year?

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't MLB players have health care for life after one day in the bigs?

Kinda worth taking copious amounts of steroids, if you think about it.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Well.....cross him off the list then

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I knew I should have accepted that contract.

Fiddlesticks.

Draft saved Draft deleted