1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athlete birthday parties -- why the big deal?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Jun 2, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2008/06/the_moss_man_birthday_party_pa_1.html

The writer in this instance was asking the same question: why do athletes (okay, black athletes) make such a huge freaking deal over their birthday? I'm genuinely curious about this. Anyone in their 20s care to explain this to me?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Making a big deal out of a birthday is definitely confined to athletes (okay, black athletes).

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yeah, I never see white folks going nuts for their daughters' Sweet 16. Or Hispanics doing over-the-top parties for quinceanera. Or people of all skin tones throwing big 21st birthday parties.

Or my wife having friends fly in from around the country for my 40th birthday party.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

then the Washington Post is racist, because their guy actually asks the athletes why the big deal. One of them said it was a 'Cane thing.

And why is it racist to ask a question? Isn't that communicating? Isn't that trying to learn about one another. Take your labels and shove them buck.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I didn't deny other people make deals over certain occasions. It just seems to me that there's a lot of this among pro athletes -- is it an ego thing? Is it splurging on such an occasion because they can?

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You know something buck...quit trying to read minds. I asked a fucking question. If you know the answer chime in. If you're going to ridicule people for trying to understand something that might have a cultural basis some kind of which I'm not aware, then go bleep yourself.

7. Inky_Wretch

The only place the word "black" was used by Steinberg was in describing an article of clothing. He didn't ask "Why do you black guys have big birthday parties?"

So don't try to use him as cover.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Learn to read Inky: This from the blog:

"Instead of asking about the towel, I asked him about the athlete birthday extravaganza phenomenon.
    "It's different when it's someone from the University of Miami," [Edgerrin James] said. "That's Santana Moss, that's our family, so we're always gonna show up and support him. Any time a Hurricane do something, we're gonna be here no matter what city they in....You know, as long as we're all together, we make the best of every situation, we make it better than it's supposed to be."

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm sorry...did I miss the word "black" in there? Is "Hurricane" code for black?

So if Jeremy Shockey had a party, they wouldn't all come?

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You know what..screw you people. I asked a simple question. I didn't intend for anything to have a racist tone. I asked in the same sense that a black friend asked he once why white people sit stoically at church and don't get up, sing and shout. We often had conversations like that to help us understand each other.

Some of you people want to scream racist at every turn, especially when the motivation for the question isn't racist.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

hondo, be fair. I have very rarely ever gotten into a racial discussion with you.

I'm just wondering the quote you posted. It was apparently to refute Inky's post that the author never used the word "black" except for clothing. You then said something about comprehension and posted that.

I'm just trying to find out where you're coming from. Because all I see in that is the word "Hurricane."

12. Inky_Wretch

Yeah, I'm not seeing "black" in that quote.

Draft saved Draft deleted