1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athens (Ga.) SE

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MC Auggie, May 25, 2007.

1. MC Auggie

MC Auggie New Member

A friend of mine that works in Athens said Andy Johnston is stepping down. Anybody heard similar rumblings? If true, there's some pretty big shoes to fill.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I was wondering when this would show up here.

From what I've heard -- and Andy might come here to add to this (or correct it) -- he has resigned to take some time off and play Mr. Mom for a while. His wife is a very successful freelance writer.

As for the size of his shoes, I'll reserve comment.

3. butch

butch Member

As will I.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn ...

Helluva job here, if Andy's leaving ...

5. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I've had limited dealings with Andy, but he's always been an unbelievably nice guy to deal with. Best of luck to him.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Not to be antagonistic, butch, but if you're reserving comment, why even post?

.... and on topic, Andy is class, and he will indeed be difficult to replace.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I wasn't taking a shot at Andy, who's a good guy. The shoe size comment was supposed to be a joke -- which apparently bombed like Ishtar.

The staff in Athens is far different from when I left nearly two years ago, turnover there has been high for years, but it's a good opportunity for a first-time SE -- as long as you can handle the Morris factor.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

A comrade told me about this last night.
    Good section with a ton of good local stories -- w/ or w/o UGA

9. Someone I know who has some knowledge of this place said turnover at this paper was like a toll taker at a Turnpike Toll Road booth. Is it that bad a situation or is he exaggerating?

10. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

It's a 25k-circulation paper. I'd be more concerned if there WASN'T turnover.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I picked up a copy that was floating around the media room at the Final Four a few years back and it remarkably good for a paper that size.

Hell, there are two pretty damn good baseball writers and one of the best college football writers around as recent alumni...

12. John

John Well-Known Member

It's a good section -- though the semi-recent loss of its top designer to Newport News will likely sting for a while -- but the sports section is by far the best thing about the paper. Though that's not always a high bar to clear.

Draft saved Draft deleted