1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athens (Ga.) Banner-Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Andy Johnston, May 18, 2006.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

vb, don't waste your time arguing with the idiot. it's just not worth it. trust me, everyone's been down this road before. dude has no idea, no credibility, no nothing. just let it go. when people see who the post is, most know just to ignore it. never try to confuse him well-reasoned arguments or facts. those just get in his way. move on.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You see, boots knows everything about every city. Athens, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Philadelphia (one of my favorite boots moments was when he got into a 2-page fight during the "On The Road" thread about who had the most authentic cheesesteaks), Greenwood, S.C., etc. Apparently the man has time to post on here daily AND hold down a newspaper job in each of the former 13 colonies simultaniously.

In truth, he saw one other poster advance the AJC > ABH argument and made it his own, on the theory it made him sound imporrtant.

Carry on.

3. No. 1: We know who Adam is. We don't know who boots is (at least I don't) so sorry boots, you lose. You may be 100 percent right (even though I know Adam and like him and therefore suspect he's 100 percent right) but I'm sorry, you can't say you're "close to the situation" and blah blah blah and expect us to believe that we should take your word over that of someone USING HIS REAL NAME. I'm not using mine, but I'm not claiming I have inside info.

No. 2: Am I the only person who prefers the B-52s? Kate Pierson has a great voice.

No. 3: I have no third thought.

4. boots

boots New Member

Hey, believe what you want to believe. There are those who also believe that Elvis is still alive.
    Look, I just said which paper I prefer. Certain Jacks didn't like it. Tough. Get over it.

5. boots

boots New Member

Let's take these points one by one shall we? One I was correct on both Jville and Philly.
    I'm definitely correct on Greenwood, in fact, the search has widened because TWO GOOD CANDIDATES, had a change of heart.
    Three, people are sticking up for the ABH. Good. I'm not impressed with the product. Never have been but I can't say I never will be.
    Now you may carry on , Oops, I think you already have.

6. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Hoops and VB, I've got your back.
    If Hoops espouses on anything regarding UGA coverage, I think it's about as close to the real deal as you're gonna get. And vanbrimmer knows of what he speaks, too. With that, I will stand down. The floor is yours Boots.

7. boots

boots New Member

I don't know and really don't care to know the secret identity of many on these boards but this us against the world shit is old.
    I stand behind what I wrote. I prefer the AJC coverage over the ABH. I think over the years, they have done a better job. Why that made so many angry is beyond me.
    And NEVER judge anyone you don't know. That's the first lesson you should've learned in J-School.
    That should settle this petty argument, at least for one day.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There are guys in the business who swear by boots and to whom he's been a very trustworthy mentor. I've talked to them.

Don't have anything to say about the paper other than that Andy is a good Christian fellow and seems like he would be a very fair boss.

9. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

"when you say Marc Weiser, you've said it all"

10. This whole "if I had to make a choice" thing is kind of overblown nowadays anyway, because most people (fans, sportswriters, etc.) just read 'em both online for free.

But (and at the risk of sounding like I'm tearing down the ABH) ... On a fall Sunday morning, if I were at a newspaper rack and had to pick one, I'd take the AJC 10 times out of 10. Generally speaking, they tend to put things into better context with fewer typos and fewer 45-inch game stories and fewer insipid "fan" pieces written by clueless metro reporters. Their columnists tend to have something to say. I want to see what Mark Bradley thinks about a botched play call by Mark Richt. I want to read whatever insights Barnhart was able to gather behind the scenes. I want to see more great one-liners from Schultz if he was at the game. And I don't care about reading a 10th sidebar on a deep snapper, a 45-inch notebook, or seeing a huge photo montage of the game. To me, quality is much more important than quantity.

Weiszer and Kendall do a bang-up job as beat reporters and are more than holding their own in terms of breaking news. This is no great revelation. But neither is the fact that, on the whole, the AJC does a better and more authoritative job. And given its tremendous advantage in resources, it damn well should.

11. vanbrimmer

vanbrimmer Member

Now there is an intelligent argument by Southern Scribe. All valid points. No slanderous stupidity. This is the kind of argument that is good for this thread and this job board.

12. Diddly Poo

Diddly Poo Guest

Somebody please

kill this goddamn thread and put the combatants in a timeout corner.

Draft saved Draft deleted