1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athens (Ga.) Banner-Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Andy Johnston, May 18, 2006.

1. JME

JME Member

Thats what I was thinking, but it's late and I figured I was being slow.

2. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Does anyone know how much desk work they are looking for with this position? I'm competent, but nothing to write home about when it comes to design.

3. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Probably a few nights a week as the No. 2 guy. It might be more since the staff is just six now, at least last I heard.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Might want to skip that part in your cover letter. ;D

5. The Franchise

The Franchise Member

Sports section there has plenty of room for improvement. Good people there, that I know, and the section isn't bad, but the layout/editing could be better. And the AJC for the last several years has consistently beaten ABH when it comes to (major) UGA sports - and it doesn't seem the ABH is too worried about changing that. My guess is they're looking for someone young with not much experience, appropriate for what they'll pay.

6. diehard

diehard New Member

"The cheaper the better" has always been Morris' motto, and the ABH is no exception. Athens is a great town, fer sure, fer sure, but the paper does have its faults. If you get the job, might be a good idea to watch your back while you're there.

7. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

I have never seen either papers, but wouldn't you expect the AJC to beat ABH for breaking news most of the time, especially UGA football? I presume the AJC has more veteran writers, with more contacts. And if some kid is kicking ass in Athens, isn't the AJC going try and snatch he/she up? But like I said I'm not familiar with either paper so excuse me if I'm talking out my butt.

8. boots

boots New Member

It's one thing to get your ass kicked by a veteran. It's another when that veteran is 80 miles away and beating your ass like a drum. ABH getting beat in their own town is disgraceful no matter how you slice it. That should never happen.

9. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

The AJC's Carter Strickland lives in Athens, as does No. 2 man Chip Towers, a former ABH guy who has been there for ages.

10. boots

boots New Member

This ass kicking goes long before Strickland got the job in September.

11. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

True, but my point was that the UGA beat writers aren't 80 miles away -- though Wyche did live on the Athens side of Atlanta because of his wife's job.

12. boots

boots New Member

Here's the point, in a nutshell, the AJC has been beating the ABH like a whore that stole its wallet for years. It's a shame that it happens especially since UGA IS the bread and butter of the ABH.

Draft saved Draft deleted