1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athens (Ga.) Banner-Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Andy Johnston, May 18, 2006.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

HAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, as a departed friend of mine would say.

JRC. CNHI.

I rest my case.

2. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

And I know his father. Good man. Actually, good family.

And ABH does a good job. So does AJC. If I have only two quarters left to buy a paper, I buy the AJC then go to Jittery Joe's or 5-Star Day and read the ABH that someone left for free.

3. well kind of back towards the topic. if we are talking the women's basketball beat, the abh/the red & black are the papers of record. for all the ajc does on football saturday's, for the lady dogs, carter will pop in every once in a while to watch andy and tasha. same with josh i believe. but they arent there every day when it comes to women's basketball, and ajc/macon don't travel unless its big (UT/tourney) i believe. last i checked it was just the the abh and the student paper out there daily. and about the beat. mike is an amazing sid. he would make whoever gets this job's life a lot easier.

4. Lord_Gordon

Lord_Gordon New Member

Giving this one a bump... anything new here?

5. boots

boots New Member

try cnhi. nothing but misery there.

6. sammyd

sammyd New Member

Lots of bad info on this thread. I read all 3 papers that cover the Dogs, and Athens is a distant third on the big stuff. Owned the beat? Athens? Can't remember a story they've had 1st. May have tied for 1st on a few, but nothing more than that on football in the last year.

Kendall is good in Macon, and tapped in. Had the 1st story on a lineman being suspended recently, although it was anonymous sourcer. The other 2 papers' rules are a lot less loose when it comes to unnamed sources, i am told.

As for breaking news, AJC broke Georgia prez asking the Cocktail Party name be changed a few weeks ago, broke AD getting a new contract, is first on most the recruiting stuff and had the first interview with Mark Richt's wife after her battle with cancer.

There haven't been any bigger Dogs stories than those lately.

7. boots

boots New Member

Thanks sammy. I rest my case.

8. Diddly Poo

Diddly Poo Guest

Athens may not be first on "the big stuff" and while this isn't to proclaim greatness in Athens - it IS Morris, after all - Athens is better than given credit for on a lot of normal things. Take a month and chart all three - after all, this is an obsessive and misguided thread - and Athens holds its own on a lot of things that others might get more credit for. At a minimum, Athens is good at catching up rather than ignoring when it might not be first. Weizer, no matter what people might say, is the hardest worker on the beat, and it's really not even close. Read everybody consistently and it might be difficult to say the same for "the others." People make proclamations without doing so. :eek:

But this may not be the best era of Georgia beat writers in a while , as far as combining reporting and writing. Let's see if the AJC can keep the same Georgia beat writer two or three years in a row, at least for consistency's sake.
    8)

9. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

anyone hearing of any movement on this one?

10. boots

boots New Member

I just had a bowel movement but as far as this job is concerned, don't look for nothing to be settled before mid July at the earliest.

11. berklonius

berklonius New Member

Now, that's what I call an update. Well done.

12. MNVikingCruiseCo.

MNVikingCruiseCo. New Member

Anyone know why they taking so long with this opening? With UGA in the CWS that might have thrown them back, but why else? Also, what is so screwed up about Morris? I haven't heard a good word about them in all these posts.

Draft saved Draft deleted