1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athens (Ga.) ASE

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by John Kaltefleiter, Mar 1, 2008.

1. John Kaltefleiter

John Kaltefleiter New Member

Howdy, folks.

I'll be putting this on the job boards, but here's a first look.

The Athens (Ga.) Banner-Herald is seeking an energetic, full-time assistant sports editor to join its award-winning staff.

In this position, you'll be second in command and be the chief designer and copy editor on a staff of six. Quark and Photoshop proficiency is a must.

Experienced candidates with at least two years of copy editing and design experience are preferred.

The Banner-Herald is a Morris Communications-owned 35,000 daily newspaper in Athens, Ga., home of the University of Georgia and one of the greatest live music scenes in the country.

Send your resume, eight design clips (include at least a Sunday and a special section) to John Kaltefleiter, Sports Editor, Athens Banner-Herald, One Press Place, Athens, Ga., 30601. E-mail: john.kaltefleiter@onlineathens.com. No phone calls.

Here's a few more details to the ad.

Our former assistant sports editor abruptly resigned Friday, so I'm looking to fill the position as soon as possible. I stress that this position is exclusive to design, copy editing and management. Writing opportunities are minimal.

Our section was an APSE honorable mention in special section this year and was top 10 in both daily and special section, and honorable mention for Sunday in 2006. It was also top 10 in both Sunday and special, and honorable mention for daily in 2005. Our Georgia football beat writer was top 10 in breaking news this year.

Athens is arguably one of the greatest college towns in the country and Atlanta is about an hour and a half down the road. The sports environment is unmatched, especially in the fall because of Georgia football.

If you have any questions, e-mail me, but please no calls. I'll take resumes and clips by regular mail and e-mail. Pdfs work well for design clips attached to e-mails.
  2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Nice job, great section and John is good people. Even though I hear he snores louder than most rock concerts.
  3. John

John Well-Known Member

The Athens paper has its issues, as all Morris papers do, and they've been chronicled here often, but this is a great opportunity for a talented designer.

You'll get to do a ton of interesting things, and Texas is a super guy and has done a fine job since taking over as SE.
  4. Great town, great paper, even greater sports editor (well, maybe not better than the town ;) ) . This is a terrific opportunity to work for an editor who gets it.

ASEs at this place have a good history of going elsewhere. Maybe not the last person in this job, but former ASE Nick Mathews, now the interim SE at the Newport News paper, is a young star in the business.
  5. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

Tex has been known to drive a man out of a hotel room with his snoring, but other than that he's a great guy. And, as said, this is a good springboard position. He should get some talented design/copy people applying here.
  6. John Kaltefleiter

John Kaltefleiter New Member

Thanks for bringing that up, Todd. I do not, however, snore on deadline.
  7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

rank its music scene to austin.
  8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Great town. Hell, a gig like this might get me back in the game!
  9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It's just a new way of saying this one gets the Big Moddy Seal.
  11. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

Its worth only about .02 cents, but this one gets the leadfoot seal as well.

great town, great paper. For anyone looking to move up either in design or management, this is a great stop.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted