1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist Group Sues to Stop World Trade Center Cross

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

CNN) -- A group of atheists has filed a lawsuit to stop the display of the World Trade Center cross at a memorial of the 9/11 terror attacks.

The "government enshrinement of the cross was an impermissible mingling of church and state," the American Atheists say in a press statement.

The group says it filed the lawsuit this week in state court in New York and posted a copy of the lawsuit on its website.

The lawsuit names many defendants, including the state of New Jersey, the city of New York , New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and New Jersey Governor Chris Christie.

The World Trade Center cross, two intersecting steel beams that held up when the twin towers collapsed on September 11, 2001, is seen as iconic to some.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/07/26/new.york.wtc.cross/index.html

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Can they reforge them into the shape of a giant middle finger?

4. YankeeFan

[​IMG]

5. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Ehh...

I'm not a religious person at all, so I'm generally somewhat understanding of this sort of thing... but I don't get this at all.

If the cross is comforting to the families of those lost -- and pretty clearly it is, in a great many cases -- including it seems perfectly reasonable to me.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There is probably a large overlap that renders this question moot, but which are more demanding and annoying, atheists or vegans?

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'd say Christians. Not sure it applies in this case, but quite often Christians insist on breaking the law and using tax money to display religious symbols in public places. They usually refuse to follow the law until atheists force them to. Imagine if some gangbanger went around spraypainting graffiti symbols in public places. The public would be outraged.

9. YankeeFan

Having been involved in case that were tried in court, I'd love to see some evidence to back up your claim.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No, TSP, atheists (and vegans) still win.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I would love to see some evidence to back up your claim.

12. YankeeFan

It's just a little case that went all the way to the Supreme Court.

Draft saved Draft deleted