1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At what point should you as a reporter point out the wrong call was made?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Spartan Squad, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

You don't speak out during the match.
    After the match, you ask the kid who made the call about the call, you ask the kid on the other side of the net and you ask both coaches. If it was that important of a call, you write about it.
    Last year I was covering a girls state tennis match that was coming down to No. 3 singles. It's 4-4 in games in the third and City High girl and Beach High girl were at 30-30 IIRC. At this point the tourney director was "officiating" the match (basically there just for close calls). City High girl hits a ball long and wide. Beach High girl - who was running with her back to the net and official - says out, then turns around. There was no signal from the official, so she pointed her hand up to signal out.
    "YOU DID NOT SIGNAL QUICK ENOUGH! POINT TO CITY HIGH," the official says. Beach High girl ends up losing the next point and the game, but won the next three to win the title.
    So I ask the official to explain the call. He says "the call must be made immediately." I ask how long that is. "Immediately." I said a professional's immediately and a HS girl's immediately are two different things, so how long is that. He gives me a face and sarcastically says "20 seconds." So I say I'm quoting you on that. And then he threatens me with a lawsuit. Not kidding.

Draft saved Draft deleted